Yeast with a helping hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerone

Reaction score
I have been doing this Marionberry wine which I started at a 1.100. I waited 2 days then added 4 cups of cane sugar and again the next day. I found that the fermentation process was not happening as fast as I anticipated. I then removed the staring bag which contained the fruit pulp and some sugar that had not fully dissolved. I added the same exact yeast packet the inital fermentation. It does not seem to be making the fermentation process any faster. It is still creating alcohol, but at a snails pace. What is wrong? I did not kill the yeast that was in there since I was adding the same strand of yeast to the must. Did I make a mistake in doing that?

Brewerone said:
I have been doing this Marionberry wine which I started at a 1.100. I waited 2 days then added 4 cups of cane sugar and again the next day. I found that the fermentation process was not happening as fast as I anticipated. I then removed the straining bag which contained the fruit pulp and some sugar that had not fully dissolved. I added the same exact yeast packet the initial fermentation. It does not seem to be making the fermentation process any faster. It is still creating alcohol, but at a snails pace. What is wrong? I did not kill the yeast that was in there since I was adding the same strand of yeast to the must. Did I make a mistake in doing that?
Please help

so you added 8 more cups AFTER it was already at 1.1??? how many gallon batch is this?? no wonder it is moving slow. having to much sugar is a sure fire way to stick a fermentation. You would have been much better off to let it get down to half that or so 1.035 -1.05 THEN add more sugar.

what kind of yeast did you use?, try heating it up to like 75 degrees and wip some oxygen into it, sometimes yeast get lazy and need a jump start...

Daze said:
so you added 8 more cups AFTER it was already at 1.1??? how many gallon batch is this?? no wonder it is moving slow. having to much sugar is a sure fire way to stick a fermentation. You would have been much better off to let it get down to half that or so 1.035 -1.05 THEN add more sugar.

It is a 6 gallon batch. Looking for that high alcohol content. Will yeast energizer help or end up killing my yeast to fast. The fermentation is not stuck just moving slow.

honestly I would dilute it and then add more sugar later. To much sugar is just as bad as not enough nutrient. The yeast like sugar but to much kind of puts them in shock. I would estimate your PA is between 16 and 17% the yeast you are using can handle that kind of alcohol content but until the sugar content goes down it will probably be slow. Yeast nutrient won't cause your yeast to die to fast. the yeast will reproduce and die as part of the process. nutrient will effect that but not in an all or nothing sort of way like you suggest.

Latest posts

Back