I need a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing an Alt tomorrow. I picked up the wrong vial of yeast at the LHBS today and they are not open on Sunday.

I'd still like to brew tomorrow but I don't want to try a "German" alt with "English" ale yeast. I'm wondering if you guys could suggest a recipe/style from the ingredients that I have on hand or could get from wally world such as grits, oats, etc. I don't have any crystal or much in the way of specialty malts, but I guess I could try toasting some base malt if needed.

Here's what I have in stock:

Grain:

48 Lbs Best Pilsner malt
50 Lbs 2 row - Cargill™ Special Pale (3 – 4 L)
2 Lbs Munich
1 Lb Caraffa I (de-husked)

Hops:

.5 oz Centenial
2 oz Czech sazz
2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker
1 oz Tettnang
1 oz Mt. Hood
1 oz Perle
1 oz Stryian Goldings
.5 oz UK Fuggle
1.5 oz UK Kent Goldings

Yeast:

1 pack Safale 05
1 vial Wlp002 English Ale yeast. (no starter)

Any Ideas?

I don't know what your inclinations are. But if it were me, I'd go ahead and brew the beer I was planning on - then just wait a day to pitch with the proper yeast.

You've got 100# of basemalt. Brew your original recipe and pitch the English yeast. Then you can go to the LHBS again and get the yeast you wanted and brew it again and then compare the results. Gives you another excuse to brew!

You've got 100# of basemalt. Brew your original recipe and pitch the English yeast. Then you can go to the LHBS again and get the yeast you wanted and brew it again and then compare the results. Gives you another excuse to brew!

+1 to that. I bet the you'll still get a great beer with the English ale yeast.

You can make an Alt with US-05. Use all the Munich and then Pilsner to get your OG than add Carafa for the color. Spalt would be best but you have a good selection of Noble hops. I would FWH with a small amount of Saaz, bitter with Perle and toss in a touch of a blend of Hallertau and Tettnang at 5 minutes.

Back