Braggot??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCSF336

Reaction score
Im curious about getting ahold of a good Braggot recipe- does anyone know anything about this subject?

Thanks for any help you can provide and may the beer lords bless your brew:rockin:

SCSF336 -
I'm pretty basic on this and do not have any set recipes yet. When I make a heavy gravity beer, I usually take around 3 gallons of additional runnings that I boil up very lightly hoped, and add 5-10 lbs to get to the OG I want.
Some general rules I follow is a lighter brew just so it does not over power the light honey flavour left over after fermentation. Last one I did I used the late runnings from a Chimay, could not really taste any honey.
SG > 1.050
As mentioned before, lightly hopped.

Otherwise, a basic recipe could be 5lbs LME/DME.
Maybe some steeped crystal 10L, .5 lbs.
5+ lbs of honey.
.5 oz of low AAU hops.

Just realize it will take longer to ferment out in primary, and it will be much lighter than your normal beer, thus you want to keep the hops light and not too bitter.

Hope this helps.

A simple way to make a braggot is to find a beer recipe you like, and remove some of the malt, adn then replace with honey such that honey is more than 50% of your fermentable sugar.

the only braggot i made was an irish red ale recipe that I sub'd honey for per the above. its still aging, and while a little sweeter than planned, isn't bad. My wife likes it, and she HATES beer....so it must be braggot :)

Latest posts

Back