what's new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsgrinder

Reaction score
Has anyone made a porter hybrid? For example I just brewed for the first time a porter-IPA hybrid. Any thoughts?

I could imagine like a cherry lambic porter, but high hops (from the IPA) and roasted malts (Porter) can also be referred to as a Cascadian Dark Ale (or for the layman, a Black IPA). How does yours differentiate exactly to become a new hybrid style?

well what makes mine a hybrid style beer is a combine both ipa characteristics and porter characteristics .I have never heard of a black ipa before, until saturday. I was going to my buddy's house and along the way there I stoped by hoppy brewing company, I saw their new ale just came out a black ipa. that previous friday I just got grains 4 my ipa porter ,and thought to myself the black ipa sounds like my hybrid never have heard of 1 until saturday . unfortunately I was unable to try this is black ipa so I am not sure what 1 taste like . but I use caramunich grains , black patent ,crystal malt ,and chocolate .used centennial whole leaf hops for bitterness, and goldings also used oak chips.

Sounds like a delightful Cascadian Dark Ale. I would highly recomend Stone's CDA, called Sublimely Self Reitous Ale. Also, MT Head, out of Graham, WA makes a killer one called Dark Mark.

Latest posts

Back