Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess my question is for both Yermom and Denny: 3 liters, yes, but on a stir plate? the 400b count looks like it would be 3L on a stir plate. If unstirred, 3L would be closer to the 250b range. Since Denny's reputation is for, well, simplicity, I'm guessing, Denny, that you don't use a stir plate?

Yeah, I was planning on a stir plate and 3 quarts of 1.035 starter in a 1 gal growler. This is similar to what I read earlier in the thread from someone else.

Denny,

I really want to order the extract from Northern Brewer for this as it looks really good. Question is I don't have a yeast starter so will the SmackPack still be enough for this if I follow the directions..or two smack packs would be better..

JJ

I guess my question is for both Yermom and Denny: 3 liters, yes, but on a stir plate? the 400b count looks like it would be 3L on a stir plate. If unstirred, 3L would be closer to the 250b range. Since Denny's reputation is for, well, simplicity, I'm guessing, Denny, that you don't use a stir plate?

Actually, I do use one, but only because it was given to me. I use 3 qt. now and it's the same amount I used before I got the stir plate. Is that scientific? Not really. Is it pragmatic, based on my experience? You betcha!

Why is this beer so damn good? I've brewed it twice now (two brew days in a row) because I didn't want to be without it...

My second keg of it is just now getting carb'd up and I put two oz of Columbus in the keg instead of just one this time... I can't recall a commercial beer that I'm much more fond of.

I see there is I tsp of gypsum added to the water. What sulfate ppm should I shoot for. I've been using pale ale profile in bru n water for my ipas which uses 300ppm. They are good but I think it's a little to much. Might shoot for around 200ppm on this one.

I see there is I tsp of gypsum added to the water. What sulfate ppm should I shoot for. I've been using pale ale profile in bru n water for my ipas which uses 300ppm. They are good but I think it's a little to much. Might shoot for around 200ppm on this one.

As long as you're at least 200, you'll be OK.

This is the profile to shoot for. I've been increasing the sulfate in the recipe and I like this...

Ca 119
Mg 7
Na 11
SO4 227
Cl 29
HCO3 52

It gets broken down like this....

Mineral Additions Mash (g) Sparge (g)
Gypsum . 7.8 4.0
Epsom Salt 0.0 0.0
Canning Salt 0.0 0.0
Baking Soda 0.0
Calcium Chloride 1.4 0.7
Chalk . 0.0
Pickling Lime 0.0
Mag Chloride 0.0 0.0

Denny, how do you figure out how to split the additions between mash and sparge? Im guessing I would need to calculate the percentage

Also, wondering if you whirlpool at flameout?

Denny, how do you figure out how to split the additions between mash and sparge? Im guessing I would need to calculate the percentage

Also, wondering if you whirlpool at flameout?

I use Bru'nwater to figure mineral additions. In the chart above, the one listed first is for the mash, the other for the sparge. Although I usually add to the kettle, not the sparge.

I don't do whirlpool additions, but if you want to add the final Mt. Hood to a whirlpool it should be fine.

I use Bru'nwater to figure mineral additions. In the chart above, the one listed first is for the mash, the other for the sparge. Although I usually add to the kettle, not the sparge.

I don't do whirlpool additions, but if you want to add the final Mt. Hood to a whirlpool it should be fine.

And what water profile do you select in brunwater? Yellow Bitter, Amber Bitter?

Will two smackpacks of Denny's favorite be ok. I ordered two with the extract kit as I don't have a yeast starter. NB said it would be good to do that..just checking here as well. Can't wait to give this a try..

Will two smackpacks of Denny's favorite be ok. I ordered two with the extract kit as I don't have a yeast starter. NB said it would be good to do that..just checking here as well. Can't wait to give this a try..

Probably. You can check mrmalty.com to be certain.

It doesn't take much to do starters. For nearly 10 years, the only starter equipment I used was a gal. glass apple juice jug .

Brewing up another ten gallon batch of this tomorrow. Question: I am using a new manifold I built in place of my braid, and I'm a bit concerned about my mash sticking. Anyone ever use rice hulls with this recipe? I bought a bag to have on hand, but not sure how to use them, or if I should even bother

Brewing up another ten gallon batch of this tomorrow. Question: I am using a new manifold I built in place of my braid, and I'm a bit concerned about my mash sticking. Anyone ever use rice hulls with this recipe? I bought a bag to have on hand, but not sure how to use them, or if I should even bother

It's only 18% rye. If it sticks, I'd look at redesigning your lauter system. There's no reason a beer with that little rye in it should lead to a stuck runoff.

Denny said:
It's only 18% rye. If it sticks, I'd look at redesigning your lauter system. There's no reason a beer with that little rye in it should lead to a stuck runoff.

Will do, thanks Denny.... I've used the manifold once on a Green Flash IPA clone and it worked great. Looking forward to the same results with your brew.

BTW, thanks for sharing this recipe. It's become my most favorite IPA ever!

Will do, thanks Denny.... I've used the manifold once on a Green Flash IPA clone and it worked great. Looking forward to the same results with your brew.

BTW, thanks for sharing this recipe. It's become my most favorite IPA ever!

Thanks for the kind words!

1.066 down to 1.011 (7.2%) and I'm happy man! Just bottled and the Columbus dry hop is smelling fantastic and the bitterness is smooth......may cheat and open one of the three 500ml bottles a little early :)

Thanks for the recipe Denny, while I may have had a minor tinker with it, I owe the final product to you! Peace brother :)

I really want to cry right now... I had just crashed my conical with a 12 gallon batch of Denny's, and I left the blowoff hose in the sanitizer bucket. Came out this morning to find that the whole bucket got sucked back into the fermentor. Now, I got 4 cups of starsan inside my fermentor with my beer. Do I pour this out RIGH NOW and get another batch going pronto? Or, is there still hope for this beer?

Sorry Denny, I screwed up your beer bad

I really want to cry right now... I had just crashed my conical with a 12 gallon batch of Denny's, and I left the blowoff hose in the sanitizer bucket. Came out this morning to find that the whole bucket got sucked back into the fermentor. Now, I got 4 cups of starsan inside my fermentor with my beer. Do I pour this out RIGH NOW and get another batch going pronto? Or, is there still hope for this beer?

Sorry Denny, I screwed up your beer bad

I would drink it anyways, but that's just me.
I saw a thread talking about the president of 5 star chemicals drank a whole glass of properly diluted star san to show how safe it is to consume.

Not to mention what a drag it would be to dump 12 gallons

I'd at least try it and see how it tastes. I'm pretty certain the StarSan won't hurt you so if it tastes OK, I'd keep it.

I was sanitizing my carboy with about a gallon of star sans and forgot to empty the star sans. Started filling my carboy when I realized I forgot to empty the star sans. Beer turned out great. Would have never known it happened.

Star San is safe to drink. My buddy and I keep it in spray bottles for economic reasons. I've watched him spray it directly into his mouth to prove a point. It won't hurt u at all. May give your beer a slight bitter taste but it's not harmful.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll let it ride. Just realized I made another slight mistake as well: dry hopped with Mt Hood on accident! Thinking I may toss an ounce of Columbus in each keg. That would be 3 oz dry hops in each, 2 oz mt hood and one ounce Columbus. What y'all think about that? This beer is taking me to town !

thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll let it ride. Just realized i made another slight mistake as well: Dry hopped with mt hood on accident! Thinking i may toss an ounce of columbus in each keg. That would be 3 oz dry hops in each, 2 oz mt hood and one ounce columbus. What y'all think about that? This beer is taking me to town !

do it!

Brewed this yesterday and have 10 gallons bubbling away in the fermenchamber right now! I wanted to say that I had no stuck sparge issues, not even close. Maybe batch sparging with a good manifold helps here...

Pre-Boil SG was dead on at 1.063 but Post-Boil landed at 1.072 instead of the targeted 1.078 from BeerSmith. I'll take it! The Denny's Favorite yeast sure did start fast and if it attenuates well this beer should still be around 7.8% to 8% ABV.

Excellent. Thank you for the recipe, it looks and smells great so far. This is my first IPA, and first time making a yeast starter, and I think it'll be a good one.
Cheers

Well, I didn't manage to hit the target OG. Its at 1.06 at 95f, so about 1.065. I'm not sure why, but I did notice that my mash, which started at 154, had cooled to 145 over the hour. Seems like the cooler isn't holding the temperature up, so maybe that explains it. I still think it'll be a good beer.

Well, I didn't manage to hit the target OG. Its at 1.06 at 95f, so about 1.065. I'm not sure why, but I did notice that my mash, which started at 154, had cooled to 145 over the hour. Seems like the cooler isn't holding the temperature up, so maybe that explains it. I still think it'll be a good beer.

I doubt that had anything to do with it. Maybe the mill wasn't tight enough to mill the rye sufficiently.

I doubt that had anything to do with it. Maybe the mill wasn't tight enough to mill the rye sufficiently.

Oh, that could be! I actually recall the guy at the Home Brew store talking to someone last week about having to adjust the mill for his rye, which we did not do for my grain. Never even thought about that. Oh well, whatever the cause, what's done is done. This beer is super active. It's like a vortex.

:mug:

Denny, In the Zymurgy recipe it says to add gypsum to the boil and not the mash to lower PH. Is this correct? or does the rye need a higher PH?

Denny, In the Zymurgy recipe it says to add gypsum to the boil and not the mash to lower PH. Is this correct? or does the rye need a higher PH?

No, it's because with my water, the pH turns out fine with no mash additions. Since I don't want to change the mash pH, I add the gypsum to the kettle instead. I also use more gypsum these days than I used to. I target about 200-250 ppm. Somewhere in this thread, I posted my water report if you're interested.

No, it's because with my water, the pH turns out fine with no mash additions. Since I don't want to change the mash pH, I add the gypsum to the kettle instead. I also use more gypsum these days than I used to. I target about 200-250 ppm. Somewhere in this thread, I posted my water report if you're interested.

Yeah Ive seen it but wanted to clarify. Just joined AHA so I was scrolling threw the articles and recipes. thanks

Started the dry hop tonight. Columbus hops sure do smell great! Beer seemed cloudy though; hopefully it will clear up a little in secondary. May cold crash to help...

Racked this one today, and it looks great. I overshot the sparge water (explains my low grav) so there's 5.5 gallons and a glass, which I'm just drinking as it. It's delicious. :mug:

I might make labels for this one, calling it "The Wrath of Conn" :)

1620896_10151869697625965_100328490_n.jpg

Bottled 10 gallons of this last light, err this morning? :cross: I really need to start kegging...

I need a sanity check:
I thought my FG was high at 1.018 and was wondering where my problem could have been. I was suspecting it could have been because 1 of the smack-packs I bought was old. (Yes I got a discount on it!) Knowing I had one fresh and one old smack-pack, I did a starter and stepped it up once but maybe this still wasn't enough good yeast...

However, after searching this thread I'm now thinking there is no problem and I shouldn't fear 4 cases of bottle bombs? RDWAHAHB

OG = 1.073
FG = 1.018

Thoughts?

Bottled 10 gallons of this last light, err this morning? :cross: I really need to start kegging...

I need a sanity check:
I thought my FG was high at 1.018 and was wondering where my problem could have been. I was suspecting it could have been because 1 of the smack-packs I bought was old. (Yes I got a discount on it!) Knowing I had one fresh and one old smack-pack, I did a starter and stepped it up once but maybe this still wasn't enough good yeast...

However, after searching this thread I'm now thinking there is no problem and I shouldn't fear 4 cases of bottle bombs? RDWAHAHB

OG = 1.073
FG = 1.018

Thoughts?

If it's stable at 1.018 and it's been a while since you brewed it, it's done.

Back