Doh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigo_Carpathian

Reaction score
Just pitched my Schneider Weisse clone and then this happened when I put the airlock on. Damn it! Now I'll be paranoid for the next couple weeks. As it happened I let out a Homer Simpson...Doh!!

doh!.jpg

Does it look like its still making a 360 degree seal? If so you should be fine. It doesn't really need a perfect seal, especially during primary fermentation when there is a positive pressure inside the vessel!

Looks like you should buy the next size up stopper for next time. The funny part is going to be attempting to extract this when it comes time to transfer!!

It does seem like its holding ok so far. Guaranteed it falls off in the middle of the night. I just looked up what to do to get the stopper out and found a cool trick. I just tried it on a wine bottle and cork and this actually works! Here's the link:
I'm actually looking forward to trying this on my carboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry. You don't even really need an airlock during primary. I sometimes just use a foam plug. You really just wanna keep bugs out. Positive pressure will push against this and the beer will be blanketed with CO2. After it's done fermenting, rack it and seal it up properly.

I'd just put a big piece of foil over it.

I would try using a cork screw to dig into it and pull it out rather than pushing it all the way in and risk contanimation. Also handling a glass Carboy like he is handling the wine bottle seems a bit risky.

Either way keep us updated as to the outcome.

Use a coat hanger, the cheap metal variety, straighten it out, then bend a tight u at one end, tight enough to slip through the hole in the stopper. Sanitize the end of the coat hanger and slide it through, hook it on the bottom of the stopper and pull it out. It might help to spritz the glass with a little stars an to make it more slippery too.

Back