metabisulphite or is starsan ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first wine kit. A Winexpert Chardonnay. The directions call for sanitizing with a metabisulphite solution. I assume that I can just use my Starsan that I already have from my beer brewing. Correct? or is the metabisulphite better?

kh54s10 said:
My first wine kit. A Winexpert Chardonnay. The directions call for sanitizing with a metabisulphite solution. I assume that I can just use my Starsan that I already have from my beer brewing. Correct? or is the metabisulphite better?

Either will work, sanitize just as you do with beer.

I use Idaphor with my wine. The only advantage of the metabisulphite is that it helps removed some O2. So when you sanatize for racking or bottling sulphites helps reduce any O2 that might get into it. Now as I said, I always use Idaphor and have no problems. I bet starsan will be the same way. And if you don't get O2 into beer I bet.

ACbrewer said:
I use Idaphor with my wine. The only advantage of the metabisulphite is that it helps removed some O2. So when you sanatize for racking or bottling sulphites helps reduce any O2 that might get into it. Now as I said, I always use Idaphor and have no problems. I bet starsan will be the same way. And if you don't get O2 into beer I bet.

Metabisulfite works as an antioxidant IN the wine, not when used to sanitize.

During sanitization SO2 gas is created and that is what sanitized your equipment.

Well, I decided not to mix up the metabisulphite and have another container of sanitizer to store. Looking forward to a wine to supplement my beer supply.

Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back