First Home Made Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
I'm brewing my third AG recipe today and decided to experiment with a recipe of my own. I have made EdWort's Haus Ale twice with great results and I will be using the batch sparge method like he calls for. My recipe is as follows:

4# Rahr 2-row
4# Maris Otter
1# Vienna Malt
1# Victory Malt
8 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Crystal 15L
5 oz. Honey Malt

1oz. Williamette @ 60 min.
.5 oz. EKG @ 30 min.
.5 oz. EKG @ 15 min.

1oz. Irish Moss @15 min.

1 11 g. package Windsor Dry Yeast.

Just wondering if the recipe will come out good or not. Please critique.

Tom Tom:mug:

In a word, "Yum!" :D

Seriously, sounds quite good. But I think you could tweak a thing or two. Your gravity is going to fall around 1.060, IBU ~30, given a median alpha-acid percentage for your hops and using the times you listed.

Balance is going to fall on the malt side of the ledger with a BU:GU ratio of 0.53. English Pale Ales, Bitters and IPAs range from 0.65 to 1.25, so depending on your desired level of bitterness, you may wish to increase the bittering charge or use a hops variety with higher bittering potential.

I also advise waiting to add your aroma charge (which I presume is the purpose of your 15-minute addition) to 5 minutes or, better yet, flameout. That will increase the perceived aromas from your Kent Goldings, one of my favorite hops varieties.

'owzat?

Bob

I used 4 oz. of honey malt on my last AG and it really was yummy, seems to add a bit of head retension??

Residual sweetness. 5oz would be the max that I would use in this recipe. Even then, it may be overpowering.

Thanks for the comments. I just went out and checked on my brew and it's bubbling away very contently. I'm keeping my glass carboy in an Igloo cube cooler with a foam lid and submersed in water to keep the temps around 60 degrees. Now that the temps here in FL are a bit cooler I won't have to add bottles of ice as often. It's around 40 here this AM. Brrrrrr,

Latest posts

Back