Good Morning Magpie (Mulberry Mead w/ Coffee)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
New Day Meadery here in Indianapolis makes a sparkling, low-gravity mead with black raspberries and coffee that is absolutely to die for. Sadly, it's only a winter seasonal. I was craving some last summer and noticed I had 12 lbs of mulberries in my freezer, so I decided to clone it the best I could using information from their website. It turned out wonderfully. Since spring is (finally) just around the corner, I decided to post the recipe so everyone could enjoy it.

Ingredients:
6 lbs of honey for the fermentation
12 lbs of mulberries (or sub blackberries, boysenberries, or black raspberries).
31 ounces of honey for backsweetening (you are looking for 4.3% residual sugar, if you plan on scaling this recipe).
30 ounces of cold-pressed coffee.
Nottingham yeast (or sub any inexpensive neutral strain)
Yeast nutrient
Pectic Enzyme
Potassium Metabisulfite
Potassium Sorbate

Instructions:

1) Don’t skimp on the ingredients! Use a high-quality honey and coffee.
2) Stir 6 pounds honey and your yeast nutrient with 3.75 gallons of water to make 4.25 gallons. Ferment with two packs of a Nottingham. Ferment until completely dry (mine took 4 weeks).
3) Freeze and then thaw the berries to break down the cell walls. Add them to a 6 gallon carboy or Better Bottle. Add the appropriate amount of pectic enzyme and potassium metabisulfite, cover with a stopper and airlock and let sit overnight.
4) Rack the mead onto the fruit. Let ferment an additional 10-14 days. For the first few days punch down the cap to make sure there is no infection.
5) Rack the mead to a keg and treat with potassium metabisulfite and sorbate. Let it sit 24 hours.
6) For backsweeting: stir the 31 ounces of honey with just enough water to dissolve. Add the honey and the cold-pressed coffee to the keg. Purge with CO2 and shake to combine.
6) Force carb the mead to approximately 2.6 volumes of CO2. You are best off letting this cold crash for a week for all of the coffee grounds to settle to the bottom of the keg.

Bonus: How to make cold-pressed coffee. Grind your beans fresh and use a coarse grind. Add the coffee grounds to a large jug or Mason jar. Add enough water to equal 2-3 times the volume of coffee grounds. Let sit at room temperature out of sunlight for 12-24 hours. When ready, strain it with a sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth.

I wish I had pictures for this, because it was absolutely beautiful to look at: midnight purple with a persistent lavender head. It's tart and jammy with just the right amount of sweetness and coffee. Even better, the coffee gives the mead a chocolatey flavor that plays well with the berries. Cheers :mug:.

Interesting idea, though I'll say that each of those berries are vastly different from one another, with the black raspberries being the most intense and flavorful, in my experience.

Interesting idea, though I'll say that each of those berries are vastly different from one another, with the black raspberries being the most intense and flavorful, in my experience.

A friend of mine brewed the same recipe, using blackberries instead. And you are right, it was a bit different. Mine was a more vivid purple and sweeter and more chocolatey; while his was a little more acidic and accentuated the coffee more. I think more than anything, though, my point was to use whatever you have and it'll still taste good. Because I know black raspberries can be expensive/hard to find.

I just killed another keg of this a few days ago. This time it was about 50:50 blackberries and mulberries. I used a Brazilian blend from a local roaster. This is so good, I am trying to figure out when I can make it again.

So if I am reading this right, you were making a 6 gallon batch. So double checking my math, a 1 gallon test batch would need:

1lb of honey for fermentation
2lbs of berries for racking
5-6oz of honey for sweetening
5oz of coffee

Is my match right on this? How long did you age this before drinking?

So if I am reading this right, you were making a 6 gallon batch. So double checking my math, a 1 gallon test batch would need:

1lb of honey for fermentation
2lbs of berries for racking
5-6oz of honey for sweetening
5oz of coffee

Is my match right on this? How long did you age this before drinking?

I made the recipe for 4.25 gallons because I did my secondary in a 5 gallon carboy. After the space taken up by the fruit and the yeast cake, I ended up with about 4.25 gallons and then the coffee and honey brought it up to close to 5 gallons in the keg. I would take the information I gave you and divide by four.

Yes, thank you! Was reading on my mobile app earlier so I couldn't see all the specifics. Thanks!

Finally going to get a chance to make this over the weekend but more than likely with either us-05 or belle saison since it's what I have on hand at the moment.

So are you brewing the coffee first, then adding it? I tried to "dry hop" a mead with 8oz of whole beans. It tasted great at first, but the coffee is fading quickly.

Cold extraction. I get fresh ground coffee and steep it in cold water in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Then filter out the grounds. Then i just add the extraction. Can be done at room temp too.

How long did you dry hop for? 8 oz of beans isn't very much.

Did you use more coffee grinds for the cold brew? Or same amount you would with hot brewing?

The beans were in the keg for about a week. I just tasted it every day until it was a little more than I wanted, expecting some to fade. But it faded too much. It was my first mead and the coffee was really just an idea to cover up a little bit of oxidation. It worked but it was meant to be an Orange Blossom traditional and I don't think that's a great base for coffee anyway.

IMO, beans have a more delicate flavor and take longer to infuse but may taste better. If you were to break open or coarse grind 8oz and cold or hot steep them, the flavor would infuse stronger, faster. Most mead makers that I know prefer whole beans but they do take longer to infuse. In fact, 21 Bean Salute from a local meadery here in WNY took pretty high placing on the professional side of the Mazer Cup this year and he only uses whole beans.

I'll have to see if we can get that down here near Philly. Do you get any color contribution from grinding? I didn't get any color from the whole beans which is nice.

I entered my coffee mead in a competition and scored a 33. The major knock was that the coffee came across as stale. I think that's because I was trying to cover up oxidation. So they didn't get the oxidation but that's what causes stale flavors.

What do you think about currants? I gave 3 12oz bottles of mead to my wife's coworker. She said she'd give me as many currants as I want.

Hey cool, I just found this thread after bottling my own mulberry cyser, which turned out pretty darn great. Below is a separate thread on the AHA forum for that one. Even got it to sparkle. No coffee, and no chemicals at all besides gelatin (if that counts).

@AkTom, regarding currants, it depends a little bit whether you've got red, white, or black currants. They are all super-duper tart, so you need to be aware of that. The black ones have the most fruity flavors, sweetness, and least tartness. The others have more of a tart tomato kind of flavor, use more restraint with those. I haven't made a currant mead but with black I would use maybe 1 lb per gallon, and for the red or white types I might go with just 0.75 lb per gallon or something like that. Currants are strongly tart, and I believe add quite a bit of astringency as well but don't quote me on that.

Here's that mulberry cyser. It ended up at 0.996 and 9.4% ABV, which is still way stronger than I'd intended, but still easier to drink than most other mead or cyser I've tasted.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24611.msg314213#msg314213

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg321775#msg321775

Back