Recipe without candi syrup??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
I want to do a 1Gal test batch for a friend at work of GF beer. Looking over recipes I see most have candi syrup. Being its a test batch to see if he likes the beer do any of you have any recpes without it. I just figure its a pain in the *** to make for such a small batch.

I want to do a 1Gal test batch for a friend at work of GF beer. Looking over recipes I see most have candi syrup. Being its a test batch to see if he likes the beer do any of you have any recpes without it. I just figure its a pain in the *** to make for such a small batch.
You could try some variation of Hop Bursted Pale Ale here. It is an all rice syrup recipe (as in no surghum) which is a little unusual, but it uses buckwheat honey as an additional fermentable and contains no candi syrup.

Pain in the *** to make? You can buy it, you know. Lowest price I've seen is about $7.50 a pound, but it's definitely worth it (IMO).

Candi syrup adds a bit of dimension to your beer and some residual sweetness. The darker colours also add a nice hue to the beer.

Having said that, there are lots of alternatives; honey (as said above try buckwheat honey), turbinado, brown sugar, white sugar, golden syrup, molasses, agave syrup.......you get the picture :)

Molasses, honey and Demerara sugar always works for me, and molasses is only a couple of quid here. And it must be even cheaper for guys, considering it mostly comes from your half of the world. :)

Dude, I don't think Americans have Golden Syrup... Or if they do it is an import and is very expensive.

zymurgy may/june 2012 has a chestnut one that looks good.. might make that for the mother in-law.. no candi syrup in it.. soaked chestnut chips with amylace and dextrose are the only fermentables.. that sounds delicious foe christmas time :)

Was ordering some supplies today and decided to check Midwest for good measure, and they now have flat-rate shipping which really helps. Their candi syrup is only $6.49/pound. Their Fawcett oat malt and Golden Naked Oats are a great deal too, for those that use/tolerate them.

Latest posts

Back