Projects swmbo will not let you do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrymonkey

Reaction score
I have a breakfast bar/counter top that is covered with tile. The kitchen side has normal cabinets, stove, dishwasher, etc. The living room side has seating and one larger cabinet under the counter.
When we moved in, my wife filled it with pictures and has not touched it in over 2 years.

Well, about a year ago I started thinking. I realized that I could probably stuff a dorm fridge into the cabinet, then run a tower through the counter top. Having a built in kegerator that was concealed, except for the tower.

When I mentioned this idea to my wife. She pretty much said that I was giving her a headache and anxiety at the same time. :D

Here are the pics. Dimensions of the cabinet are 19" deep, 36" high, 22" wide. These are of the cabinet only, it would not take much to open it up roughly 12" in each direction. Since there is a ton of dead space with the bar and cabinets behind it.

pics.

DSCN2473.jpg

DSCN2474.jpg

DSCN2475.jpg

My other project, that sends swmbo into gastric distress whenever I mention it.

Is converting the downstairs coat closet into a ferm chamber. I want to rip out the drywall. put in a moisture barrier and insulating foam, then run a window a/c unit through exterior wall.

Once again, we stuffed it full-O crap when we moved in and have not touched most of it since. We use it to hold the kids shoes, and whatever coat my wife is currently wearing. Most of the coats in the closet, have not been worn in 3 years.

With shelfs, I could fit 10 carboys in there. :D
Dimensions are 26" deep, 8' tall, 51" wide at the most narrow.

Pics.

DSCN2476.jpg

DSCN2477.jpg

DSCN2478.jpg

DSCN2468.jpg

DSCN2469.jpg

DSCN2479.jpg

I have a big, empty, unfinished basement that is used mainly for storage. I really wanted to make a keezer and have it positioned directly under the kitchen counter and then run some lines up to a tower that would be mounted on the counter top. She wrote it off as "Trashy" and "impractical." I had to bite my tongue and pick my battles on that one since she did let me put a kegerator in the dining room.

I have a big, empty, unfinished basement that is used mainly for storage. I really wanted to make a keezer and have it positioned directly under the kitchen counter and then run some lines up to a tower that would be mounted on the counter top. She wrote it off as "Trashy" and "impractical." I had to bite my tongue and pick my battles on that one since she did let me put a kegerator in the dining room.
Most women have no vision.
what they see as trashy and distressing, is actually conveniant and awesome.

my ideas have an amber hued clarity, they are usually spawned by beverages of amber hue. Only true visionaries can understand.

I wonder if she will get pissed if I start tearing the closet up tonight.:D

Recruiting expedition for a harem.

Do you plan to run a window a/c unit through exterior wall next to your front door? All ideas up to that point seemed reasonable. Do you have alternate storage space to trade for these?

Hungrymonkey,
It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than to get permission.
I say do it. I mean what's she gonna do? Leave you and take half your retirement.
When we remodeled our bathroom, I said I was putting a flat screen in the wall(not on, but "in") in front of the toilet. She said no, but I stood my ground.
She thought I was crazy, but now she loves it, and uses it more than me.

There's a 5 cubic foot chest freezer at my church thats not being used, i've been told I can just take it for free. SWMBO says no, you already bought a mini fridge for your beer kegs.

There's a 5 cubic foot chest freezer at my church thats not being used, i've been told I can just take it for free. SWMBO says no, you already bought a mini fridge for your beer kegs.

This is the only unreasonable thing I've seen in here! No Free fridges!!>??

Seriously guys? Expecting to put towers on the kitchen counter and fermenting chambers in the coat closet? Finish the basement/use the garage.

My first 3 arcade games and a soda machine (all at different times) all got into the basement when my wife went out for a few hours... I always wait for my wife to go out for the night before I do things that may cause trouble. Like mentioned earlier, its easier to ask for forgiveness. After awhile, my wife has given up and now I just bring toys home..

granted we do only have a 1 car attached garage for our apartment, so space is a little cramped, but still... I KNOW I would use it when we move to a house in a few years.

This is the only unreasonable thing I've seen in here! No Free fridges!!>??

Seriously guys? Expecting to put towers on the kitchen counter and fermenting chambers in the coat closet? Finish the basement/use the garage.

That is kind of the point of the thread.

If I were single, it would be done. But since my wife does not appreciate the same things I do. It will not be done.

Recruiting expedition for a harem.

Do you plan to run a window a/c unit through exterior wall next to your front door? All ideas up to that point seemed reasonable. Do you have alternate storage space to trade for these?

Yes, through the exterior wall. Or into the garage, which is on the back wall of the closet.

No, I do not have alternate storage for her coat collection. :(
Like I said. Its projects you would do, but swmbo shoots down.

I really wish I had a basement. I wonder how long it would take me to dig under the house... :D

Back