Kolsch yeast for a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegrease

Reaction score
I have a hybrid helles ready to keg and was thinking about re-pitching the wyeast 2526 into a wheat beer. It seems like I read somewhere that some of the wheat yeast strains were derived from the kolsch. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this? I was thinking about a lightly hopped maybe 60% malt 40% wheat beer.
Thanks,
Jim

Do it. Delicious. I like them at 67F...really brings out some of the stone fruit flavors. And especially good if you hop aggressively with C-hops.

I did a wheat IPA with Saaz and kolsch yeast. The last bottle that I forgot in the back of my fridge was fantastic.

I have brewed Ed's kolsch ( if you have not give it a go, very tasty)but I guess I didn't consider it a wheat beer. What portion of the grain bill has to be wheat for it to be a wheat beer? Any technical definition aside, it did not taste like a wheat. It is definitely a kolsch. The wheat did give that beer a gorgeous head.
Jim

Standard wheat grist + medium amount of noble hops + Kölsch yeast = delicious. Do it. I brew at least one batch like this at the beginning of spring each year.

Back