4 LHBS to choose from, 1 just took himself off the list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revvy's article points out something very important. While we all think we are getting great cash-back rewards of 1% or airline miles, we are actually paying more money for the services and goods we buy due to the credit card fees to the merchants. Money doesn't come from out of nowhere.

So how does he juggle his books, his inventory, square it with the credit company and his accountant for trying to accomodate the "tip" you were willing to give him, whether you call it a service charge or not?

This is the 21st century, every transaction has to have a trail, especially where credit comes into play. It's not like he rolls up his slevve, opens his dusty ledger, lick his pencil and put whatever price he wants in the sale column, and know at tax time what that line in the book REALLY means.

His inventory lists the price of DME at for example 5.00... he can't Just suddenly run it through for $5.40 to cover the service fee, or like you said "add a little more for your trouble," or whatever you said. So let's say he decides to take 2.00 more from you like you suggested, on top of the 40 cents. How does it square with the credit card company and the reciept? It shows that the DME is 5 bucks a pound, NOT 7.40, so someone is going to think that he is padding folks credit card bills, a nickle here or there.

How does it square with the inventory? Is his computerized, he can't just say he charged you 5 bucks for DME, and 2.40 for bottle caps that you didn't receive. His drawer isn't going to jibe with his inventory doing that. AND if he makes this a regular policy, to make all his customers happy for a couple of dollars, then he's going to spend more time adjusting his books and his inventory to accommodate these little "favors."

Like I said this is SOP in Michigan. Heck I don't know where you all live but in Metro Detroit it costs more at the pump to use our credit and debit cars that to pay for the same amount of gas with cash, I've seen it as high as 10-20 cents A GALLON.

This article in USA today explains it...and its not JUST cash stations who get hosed, it's all merchants with credit machines.

And I'm sure the LHBS is smaller in sales, especially on a daily basis, than the smallest mom and pop gas station in podunk. Don't forget, as gas prices went up, so does his costs to even get the DME to the stores for him to even have on hand for your friend to pick up for you.

I mean, we're not talking walmart here, or megamart homebrew empire (if there ever was one) we're talking more like Joe's Homebrew and bait shop....Heck my friend Todd's shop is the side room of his printing business, which he can't get rid of, as much as he'd love to just run the LHBS, it doesn't even cover the rent most of the time.

That's why I can see his side, and think most of you are over reacting, calling him a crook, or saying he's a bad business man, he's just a poor schlub trying to survive.

I have friends who own lhbs, some are no more than the closet in the back of their other business, they're not raking in the Benjamins. They do it for the love of the hobby, not because they expect a mansion on a hill when they retire.

Like I said, my first reflex then is to find out what the minimum is and buy over that amount even if it was one penny more. I would have just bought the next size bag of DME, honestly it's not like I'm not going to be making starters for years and years.

I don't think either of you maybe handled it all that well. He should have said simply "our policy is cash for purchases under x dollars is our policy, and give you the option to buy more.

*shrug*

Most of us are not writing a book with each response, just sayin. :p

Turns out he talked to him about if this happens again he would rather him pay cash as he does not LIKE credit cards.

Yeah, he probably loses money every time he runs them, EVEN if he has a 10 buck minimum. Like the article says, merchants get hosed on fees, the smaller the business worst it probably is. And I'm sure a drycleaner takes in more business than a homebrew shop.

Mine does the same exact thing and I hate it I never ever carry cash. I've had to run out to my car to covet parking change to pay him before He always gives me a judgmental face when I pull out my card and insists I buy more. That's why 99.9% I buy online. And I found a new store for urgency b

So that mean you don't have the brain capacity to read a well made argument? I didn't use TOO many multi syllabic words....:p

Man, if your brewing process is as thorough and well thought out as your responses, I REALLY need to try one of your beers :D

This is the 21st century, every transaction has to have a trail, especially where credit comes into play. It's not like he rolls up his slevve, opens his dusty ledger, lick his pencil and put whatever price he wants in the sale column, and know at tax time what that line in the book REALLY means.

His inventory lists the price of DME at for example 5.00... he can't Just suddenly run it through for $5.40 to cover the service fee, or like you said "add a little more for your trouble," or whatever you said. So let's say he decides to take 2.00 more from you like you suggested, on top of the 40 cents. How does it square with the credit card company and the reciept? It shows that the DME is 5 bucks a pound, NOT 7.40, so someone is going to think that he is padding folks credit card bills, a nickle here or there.

How does it square with the inventory? Is his computerized

Like I said, my first reflex then is to find out what the minimum is and buy over that amount even if it was one penny more. I would have just bought the next size bag of DME, honestly it's not like I'm not going to be making starters for years and years.

Regarding squaring transactions with CC companies, this is just requires a few more steps and is done by plenty of merchants, including myself if a customer requests a tip be charged.

And again, HE DOESNT HAVE A MINIMUM. He doesn't like credit cards. If he is losing money on every transaction then he is not charging enough.

I purchased phone orders with him for just a pack of yeast before and paid with credit card. This is a decision he made on whim and had nothing to do with minimums.

He also does not have a computer, his prices are handwritten on everything in the store.

I can see your point, but I wonder if you are punishing him for trying to be profitable or for being a poor communicator.
The bank charges our company a premium for nonswiped transactions so that $.40 is probably not all he's getting dinged for. On a <$5 transaction that wipes his profit out. The argument he is not charging enough doesn't hold water either because then people would be complaining about his prices. He can't win. Period. All he can do is hope to pay his bills let alone make money because he has to deal with online pricing.
Cut him some slack and understand the overhead he has to deal with to provide you the convenience of getting what you want when you want.

I purchased phone orders with him for just a pack of yeast before and paid with credit card. This is a decision he made on whim and had nothing to do with minimums.

Maybe all those little nickel and dime credit charges you and others have been doing have FINALLY caught up to him, and he's going broke from them. Maybe his accountant showed him the books recently and it hit him how much he is pissing away in fees. Maybe he's having personal and/or financial problems like millions of other folks, and he's hurting from it so has decided to stop doing it.

We don't know what "cross" he may be bearing right now. I doubt, if he's been doing it for you in the past, was just a stubborn, knee jerk reaction. There's probably something bigger going on......

Hell, maybe they JUST raised he fee even more. I thin Northernlad hit the nail on the head.

If he knows you by face and voice, and has done this before. Why wouldn't he just put it on a "tab" for the next time you come in? My local beer store has done this for me......Just sayin

Nah. He needs to make a policy ($0.75 charge on anything under $10 or w/e) and stick to it or expect customers to get frustrated and leave.

It is against Visa or Mastercard policy to charge extra because it is a credit card purchase. You can discount for cash but not charge extra for credit cards.

Forrest

I pay 1.8%V plus 20 cent per transaction for MC/Visa.
Almost 4% for American Express and 4% for paypal.
43 cents period for a debit with a pin number.

So on a $200 order:

MC/visa $3.80
Amex $7.70
Paypal $8.00
Debit 43 cents
Cash 0.00

So do merchants a favor and if you can't bring cash, run your debit card and enter the pin.

I have my cashiers run cards as debit instead of credit unless the customer objects.

If you have a business and you don't have a pin pad, it will pay for itself in a couple days.

In this instance he would have paid about 32 cents in fees. He shouldn't complain. He needs to come to the reality that we are no longer a cash based society and adjust his prices accordingly.

In Omaha there used to be a camera shop in a rich area that would charge list price for everything. But they had a 20% discount for cash. The rich people wouldn't blink and hand over the card.

Forrest

It is against Visa or Mastercard policy to charge extra because it is a credit card purchase. You can discount for cash but not charge extra for credit cards.

Forrest

I am sure there are exceptions to this rule. I do not know if everyone has AM/PM's where they live but they charge a fee to run cards. Certainly they are big enough to enter Visa/MC's radar if they are breaking rules.
PS, the last merchant service info I read from Visa stated that a surcharge could be added if other forms of payment were accepted, meaning that if you did not want to pay it you could pony up the cash.

As far as your charge break down, I agree. If it is under $20 it is usually better for the merchant to run as credit, over that debit.
To reiterate a statement before, I know its all cool to get a bunch of airmiles and cash back, but keep in mind your friendly LHBS is paying for all the free shyt you get. Personally I hate the jackasses who run their debits as credits because the bank gives them a share of the increased charge.

My LHBS prefers you use a debit card as they only get charged .75 cents compared to credit which is in the 3 dollar range. I was at a leather store and they asked me to do the same thing. I have no problems with this as I try to buy local whenever I can to keep my money local i only order off the internet if I have to. This might cost me an extra 5 bucks but meh it will all even out when the zombie Apocalypse makes TP the new currency. I will be using 5 squares when everyone else is using 1.

/i need to go to bed:tank:

I don't think the OP is punishing him for trying to be profitable. Seems to me it's just a matter of customer service. As I was saying before, it was $4.00. If someone is wigging out that much over a .40 cents charge then there is probably something else going on in their life much greater than that. It may come to light one day. I'd say give him another chance as everyone can have a bad day.

The Customer is always right. F that...not your fault.

In this instance, the customer is right. He should have said "if you paid in cash it would help me out. But if you cant it is no problem." Or not even bring it up and be happy that he is getting the business instead of one of the other three.

Forrest

In this instance, the customer is right. He should have said "if you paid in cash it would help me out. But if you cant it is no problem." Or not even bring it up and be happy that he is getting the business instead of one of the other three.

Forrest

Good answer. It looks to me like the OP was just trying to work out a deal they could both appreciate.

While trying to set up a CC account at work I got a peek at all of the fees that kick in at different transaction amounts and methods. From now on if the person at the counter ask Credit or Debit I just answer, "Whatever you like is fine with me!" They know what they lose less money on, and most of the time it's not a big deal to me.

I think there are state level rules on this--but you can charge fees for ATM, but not for using credit cards. You can have a minimum charge though ($10 or $20) and that's OK with the CC companies.

My LHBS doesn't even want to talk to customers on the phone and they won't take orders on the phone either. They'd rather you come down and wait for an hour in line...and they hate taking credit cards...You hand them the card, they ask if you have cash.

So, I buy from online and plan ahead....problem solved.

I manage client relationships for a living and this is what we call in the biz 'customer confrontational'...when the policies of the business serve the business, to the detriment of their customers.

Whenever a business puts me in between them and their vendor, I take my business elsewhere. At least you have choices, I recommend you use them.

If the guy runs a good shop and is generally a good guy, is this the hill you want to die on?
IMO it should be: If the guy is generally a good customer, is this the hill the shop owner wants to die on?

Forrest has the right answer imo. His post also illustrates why my Credit Union-issued VISA Check Card cannot be used as 'Debit' a lot of the time (like at the grocery). They just want the bigger fee.

I don't have an issue with small stores charging extra for low dollar credit card purchases. On the other hand, I have a policy of asking for discounts if I pay for cash for large purchases. It is interesting that many stores will accept, or make a counter offer. I usually ask for 3%. If they say no, I use a credit card.
---I like it, what a great idea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id look at the silver lining.. you still have 3 more options of where to shop;).

at least you dont live in a place where you have to continue to patronize that guy's shop because

option 2: confront the guy.. let him know that this is not an appropriate way to conduct business. Maybe he is just ignorant?? ask him if $.40 is worth losing a customer?

either way, Id agree with what appears to be the consensus.. "life is too short to waste time with bad customer service."

Thanks for all the replies. If he was my only guy I would probably suck it up and just bring cash... but hes not. I will frequent the other 3 establishments.

BTW, the DME worked great.. haha.

If you are under $10 or so and hand me a debit card, its getting run as a credit whether you like it or not. It doesn't matter to the card holder how its run and its nice to control the bloodletting from time to time.

The Customer is always right. F that...not your fault.

NOT true. By a country mile.

Back