Figuring mash temp by attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstnate

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to figure out their "real" mash temp by percent attenuation? I know one would have to use a no crystal recipe to calibrate, but it sounds possible.

There are a lot of variables in any type of equation like that;
Lintner value for a specific batch of malted grain.
Age of the grain.
Storage conditions.
Crush.
Water profile.

and probably a lot more than I can think of.

If I am understanding your question correctly, I don't think it would be that accurate..

OMO bosco

I get that it wouldn't be an exact science, but a good rule of thumb. I could see it working for the over attenuated side. Assuming proper pitch rates and good fermentation.

what do you mean by "real" mash temp?
I agree with bosco, there are too many other variables. Wont attenuation also depend on the quality of the yeast?
Couldnt you just use a bunch of different thermometers at different places in the mash?

Hey, I just use a themometer too! Except when after calibrateing all themometers and mashing at 152 I don't get a beer with 152 fermentability. Its really just somthing to think about, a way to kind of calibrate to everybody elses system.

Ok, so if I put a bunch of thermometers in different places of the mash wouldn't I get a bunch of different numbers? Depending on where there at

Not if it was well mixed or stirred. After a while differences may show up depending on surface area, the insulating ability of the container walls etc.. The outer temps would probably change more rapidly than the central core temperature unless it was somehow kept in motion..

But really does a difference of a degree or two make that much of a difference over a mash time of an hour or so???

I don't know. It doesn't seem to affect my brewing at all.

bosco

Hey, I just use a themometer too! Except when after calibrateing all themometers and mashing at 152 I don't get a beer with 152 fermentability. Its really just somthing to think about, a way to kind of calibrate to everybody elses system.

What does "I don't get a beer with 152 fermentability" mean?

Meaning beers that are way to dry for 152. Yes i could just up my supposed temp a few degrees at a time until i get the attenuation where it should be, but that doesn't really give me an idea what temp to use on a different system. My setup is a rims that measures for the burner off the kettle output and i also measure inside the pot with a different probe that stays with in a degree of the output temp. So i seem to have a problem with over attenuation as of late.

What does "way too dry" mean? 152 should give you a very fermentable wort. Grist and yeast strain are also significant factors that affect attenuation. There's an NHC presentation where a guy tried to derive a formula for it, but if I remember it was still an estimate at best.

I wonder how you determined they're too dry for 152? Has something changed? Did they used to be less dry at that mash temp? If you're an AHA member, take a look at Greg Doss's mash temp experiment presented at NHC last summer. He found that 153 produced the highest attenuation.

To dry, meaning light body, low flavor. Like comparing a light lager to a bock. Most recently brewed jz's american wheat and finished 6 points under the spec fg. So there most likely an issue with my mash tun readings/reading locations. So being able to figure by attenuation would give an idea of what the "real" temp was. Once again just a thought. Thanks denny I'll check that out. PS in this instance I figured about a degree per point attenuation

Latest posts

Back