Lakefront Wisconsinite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
I bought a six pack of the Lakefront Wisconsinite and must say I am not a big fan. I knew it would be a stretch because I generally do not like wheat beers but I was drawn to the fact that they use a native Wisconsin yeast. There is quite a bit of yeast at the bottom of every bottle so I plan on harvesting it.

For those of you who have tried the Wisconsinite, what non-wheat style of beer could I make using it? For those of who have not tried it, what style of beer would benefit from a banana-esque flavor?

If anyone stumbles across this lonely thread in the future, I will be attempting a southern English brown ale with the Wisconsinite yeast. I'll be sure to post the results.

Talk to Jeremy King at Northern Brewer, he's the one who isolated that yeast.
He told me that it is actually a fairly versatile strain that has some different characteristics depending on how it's used.

Hefeweizen and Bavarian Hefeweizen are two styles that benefit from both the clove and banana notes typical of True top cropping wheat yeast strains. If you like the banana then typically higher fermentation temps will bring that out. If you don't and prefer notes of clove then the lower temps are desirable.

You could try and brew a Belgian Wit with it.

Back