Big Beer - How long in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
So, I've got a porter going that should end up around 8%.

OG: 1.079
After Primary: 1.019

It's been in the secondary for 2 weeks now and will stay there for another 2 weeks. The recipe I have (Anchor Porter Clone) uses DME for priming.

I'm thinking I should let these sit for quite a while before I start drinking them. Any opinions on when this beer might reach it's potential? Or at least be worth drinking as opposed to saving??

i'd give it a month, then test em out. they should change over time, and be really good after six months.

I have a couple 1.070 going right now still in primary which are the biggest I have done. So I too am interested in this topic.

I would wait a minimum of a month and I'm sure the beer will be better at 2 or 3 months.
If you are like me it probably won't last that long. :mug:

I have some at 9% that still taste kinda green after 4 months.
some at 12% that taste f'n great after 12 months.
Make another batch of it soon and taste the first batch every couple of weeks. (you will soon rrun out as I have nearly discovered)

You'll need almost a month just to carbonate it well with the DME (which, by the way, is a nice way to carbonate). I agree that you probably need about six months, total, before it really comes together, but you should be able to enjoy it in a month or two.

No matter what, open one every month, just to see how it progresses. It's good education, if nothing more.

TL

so I've got one that I should bottle...11% ABV.

will I have to add more yeast at bottling? (brewed on 10/20...four weeks in primary, still in secondary)

if so, which yeast will take that high abv and still function to carbonate?

edit...it's a Belgian Dark Strong Ale...I don't want to mess up the flavor profile with incompatible yeast

thanks.

Back