Rye pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman22

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on rye ales lately. I want to brew either a hoppy rye pale ale, or a rye ipa. I am still an extract brewer, and it seams like everyone agrees you cannot brew a rye ale doing extract. I do not want to order rye syrup as I like supporting my local HBS.

My local HBS has a kit called a Rye pale ale. The grain bill is:
6lbs pilsner lme
.75 caramel crystal 20
.50 carapils/dextrine
.50 German eye malt

The grains are steeped, not mashed. Does anyone have any input on this? Will it have any rye flavor to it a all? Please share your opinions.

Thanks!

prob not as much as you would like. i recomend buying some flaked rye to go with this recipe. or step up the rye malt. cheers amigo

I appreciate your interest in supporting your LHBS but that doesn't mean you have to buy everything there. If they don't have what you want and aren't willing to get it for you(did you ask), then they aren't supporting you. It needs to be a two way street of support. Buying one ingredient from someone else won't bankrupt the LHBS.

You might consider doing this as a partial mash- it really isn't any harder than extract, and you can probably do it with only the equipment you have now. DeathBrewer has a great how-to thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

I can also give you the step-by-step on my method, which is very similar but uses an unmodified 3-gallon beverage cooler to hold the mash at temp.

Slight thread hijack, but how would you guys rate cararye for getting that rye taste in extract brewing?

Back