Dead kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I bought a Frigidaire® 4.4 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator from lowes to build a kegerator and in my excitment to start the project I never tested to see if the fridge worked. Now that I am about to rack into my first keg I pluged her in and nothing happened. The interior light turns on, but it doesn't cool. the compressor doesn't turn on, or click nothing. I left if for an hour hoping it is a quite fridge. No change. When I drilled the hole for the tower I was pretty careful not to hit the freon lines. I didn't hear anything when drilling or smell any kind of gas. Does anyone have any sudgestions on how to trouble shoot what is wrong. Will the compressor turn if I did hit a gas line?

using a volt sensor can I say that the thermostate is getting power and swtiches on an off when adjusting the dail...

I've got power all the way to the compressor, from that point I am not reading anything. Check anouther mini fridge and the compressor is warm after running. Mine compresor doesn't make a sound or show any indications of life.

If you hit a gas line you would know it. There would be all kinds of hissing and racket, and if, like me, your face was anywhere near the drill you might have caught a nasty buzz from the refrigerant.
Has it been unplugged for at least a few hours without being moved around?
Was it moved on it's side?

it was moved on it side, for about 15 min drive home from lowes. Drilled my hole for the tower and carried it downstairs about a week ago. I will try again tonight. What does moving it on it's side do?

Moving in any position but upright can get oil into the compressor. You'd have to let it sit upright for 1-2 days before turning the fridge on to not blow it out.

It doesn't sound like I punctured the line or the issue with shipping on the side as it sat in the basement for at least a week before plugging it in. Just plugged it in again tonight still dead. I e-mailed the fridgadare asking them for advice, no service parts for this unit but someone is supposed to contact me. I don't think they will be very happy to find out that I drilled a hole through the top, but I won't mention it if they don't ask.

Back