My first attempt at fermenting anything...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottK

Reaction score
I have never before attempted to ferment my own alcohol of any kind. I saw a video on youtube that made me want to try it, last Sunday I bought a jug of Welch's grape juice (the no-preservatives purple one). I got some active dry yeast, emptied out a little of the grape juice and replaced it with a cup of sugar. Then activated the yeast, and poured it in.

I left the cap just slightly loose, and covered it with a plastic bag and rubber band. For the first 10-20 hours, it spewed constantly, and was very bubbly. Now it seems to have calmed down some, so I closed the lid the rest of the way.

Can anyone guess how this might turn out if I just wait about another week and a half, then filter it, and let it sit for a couple months, possibly in the refrigerator for the last week?

Thanks in advance.

a) crack the cap. It's very likely still fermenting and those containers aren't rated for pressure.

b) Likely to turn out pretty good. I make a batch using Grape Concentrate.

c) I wouldn't worry about filtering, that's just an opportunity to introduce oxygen and germies. Just wait for it to settle out and get clear. I generally wait until I can read something on a newspaper looking through it.

I'm really glad you told me that Brazedowl. I just went in there and noticed the bottle was beginning to push itself out at the bottom.

I cracked it, and it shocked me a little when it popped back into place.

I'm leaving where I can hear that squeaking sound around the cap now.

Thanks.

Great job it. That's the way I did it. I have airlocks and stuff now but that's how I got started, friendly tip siphon it off after it's clear into another jug if you get too much of the yeast pouring it out you'll get a hangover from hell.

lol, you remind me of me...next thing you know you'll be buying 5 gal buckets and carbouys, airlocks, hydrometers...look for a homebrew shop around town, they'll have stuff you need when you want to do it more - which you will...did you use bread yeast or wine yeast? making beer is fun too and alot faster than wine - you should try that too! Good luck

Awww yes, bitten by the bug. I had a friend with an overburdened plum tree and 11 pounds of honey from his hive... I have a batch going now and I am already trying to figure out the next fermentation while my wine is resting for a few months.

Back