Mead Bottling / Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
This is a general question regarding mead - from someone w/o much experience both drinking and brewing it! Most meads I've had were not carbonated. However, I definitely remember having one or two that has a very light, and refreshing, carbonation to them. Is this a stylistic thing or is mead traditionally not carbinated at all?

If no carbonation were desired, bottling would obviously be a simple clean/sanitize/distribute operation. What would the process/additives be if a slight/fine carbonation were desired? Would priming with honey give an additional boost to the sugars available to "carbonate" the brew? After 1+ years in fermentation, would there even be enough yeasts present to get this process going? How long would the bottles have to age for this carbinization to occur?

That's some dense questioning. Thanks for any input!!!!

but nobody ever replied.

Anybody want to expound on carbonating mead. Add honey or corn sugar, etc?

Thanks

I prime my meads with corn sugar because it's easier to measure.

Also, I don't do it by the 3/4 C measurement either.

If you bang the cup on the counter the sugar will push out the air and compress...and overprime. :mad:

Since 4 oz is the "normal" measurement for priming this comes out to .8 oz per gallon of mead/beer. ;) :rockin:

The carbed batch we did was just like carbing beer. Boiled dextrose in some water, added to bottling bucket, and bottled as normal. I don't remember it taking any longer than beer to carb but it did need to age a year before it was really good.

I had an accidental bottle carb'd mead once. Bottled a little early, but not too early. Its just barely sparkling.

somehow it didn't blow the corks outta the bottles either.

Now, I just force carb in keg and then bottle with a DIY beer gun.

My first sparkling mead was accidental from bottling too soon (even though the mead was clear). It was a mango and I had two corks pop and pour all over the floor before I could get the rest in the fridge.

I think that dry, acidic melomels and cysers lend themselves to carbonating. I use corn sugar but 1/2 cup honey will work too. Give it about a month.

Back