*emergency* brew-day help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Belgian

Reaction score
I am brewing a porter this afternoon w/OG of 1062 using Wyeast 1056. Making a starter this morning, expecting to get it underway approx. 8 hours before pitching, I got distracted and pitched my smack pack into the starter wort at approx. 160 degrees (I misread the thermometer, thought it had cooled to 60 degrees). Its on the stir plate now, but I'm afraid I've either killed my yeast or created nasty off-flavors in the starter (1.5L) that will affect my beer. I can run out to the brewing store this morning and either buy a new smack pack or get two packets of S-05, Nottingham or other dry yeast. Any thoughts?

Thanks brewing dudes.

BB

No thoughts on your posted predicament. Sorry. However, I would suggest doing starters at least 24 hours in advance. That will give your yeast much more time to prepare for the task at hand and you will be happy with the outcome.

If it were me I'd pitch some re-hydrated Nottingham yeast and keep the fermentation temps for the first week between 62 and 64 degrees F.

Back