Walk-In Cooler Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkent1978

Reaction score
So I've got a potential line on a 10x6x8 stainless walk-in cooler (Gloekler Refrigeration) for $100 (awesome right???).

The catch is that the condenser probably doesn't work and if it did it I'm guessing it would be horribly inefficient. My thought was to get this and use it as a fermentation/serving cooler and put it in the basement. Questions are:

-Could I use a window a/c unit like in the DIY cooler threads as opposed to a condenser but w/o cutting into the side of the SS? The current condensor sets on top of the unit I think and I wouldn't have the height to put anything on top. (Worst case...if I did have to cut into the side I'm thinking I could save the "cut-out" and patch at a later date if I decided to sell it or something).

-This thing has some age on it (guessing from 50's or 60's...total guess)...but it's in good shape. Are the R-values going to be decent?

-Is it worth it? I know there's some serious "cool factor" with the walk-in but would I be better off spending my money on a chest freezer?

The thought of insulating some draft lines from the basement up to the kitchen definitely pushes me towards the walk-in though. I've tried to find specs or information for it but can't find anything. Thanks for any input!

If there is no room on top to use the original hole then you probably won't have much choice other than to cut a hole in the side. The only way to avoid cutting a large hole in the side would be either a mini split a/c system, or modifying a window unit into a mini split. This would still require a small hole for regrigerant lines though, and either one would require both the knowledge and tools to work with refrigerant, or paying a contractor, so probably not worth it if you are on a budget and can't do the work on your own.

The easiest way would to be cut a hole in the side, put a window unit on it, and enjoy your new walk in.

You could always replace the condensing unit with a newer one. Just get the information off the condenser (model # / serial #) and google the manufacturer. They are not that terribly expensive and you will have a much more efficient walk in than if you used a window a/c unit.

Sources for replacement condensing units can be e-bay, craigslist, graingers, r.e.michels co. and so many other HVAC suppliers.

I have been in the HVACR service and sales business for over 25 years and suggest replacing the condenser. You may need to hire an HVAC tech to replace the unit or maybe get a friend who can help you out, but the overall results will be better in the long run.

Salute! :mug:

It sounds like a simple capsule pack condensing unit. If you have the room to install in the proper place one can be found through a restaurant supply store or a local refrigeration rep.
A window AC unit will work if you size it for the cube's but probably won't pull it down to fridge temps.

If you want, I can call my Manitowoc/Kelvinator rep who deals with condensing units and see what a new unit would cost as an FYI.

I may take you up on that offer northernlad...I've actually thought about watching a few of the online auction sites up here in NE Ohio for a replacement unit. I've heard that they can go pretty cheap.

I figure I would have at least a few hundred wrapped up in a window unit/thermostat/etc...if I can get a replacement condenser for even twice as much I'm sure it would be worth it (plus, no cutting holes into it!).

I'll get a pic of the current condenser uploaded in a bit so you can see if it's what you think it is.

Thanks!!!

Hi jkent1978! Freezers do have duration periods and that may still look good but you must remember that it must meet the legal requirements, yes the R-32 for freezers. You may not be spending a lot upon purchasing that one but what about the long run? It may cost you more for the electricity and for repairs, since that is prone. Find the perfect cooler for you with these very helpful tips. :)

I would just shoot for a new condenser/evaporator. We had to do that when we got our used walkin for our liquor store.

Back