IIPA recipe feedback wanted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTgill

Reaction score
Hope I can get some input on this recipe. I have never used Falconer's Flight but liked the description so I bought half pound. I also have the following:
1.25 lb Amarillo
1.25 lb Citra
1 lb Centennial
.25 lb Cascade
.5 lb Magnum
.75 lb Simcoe
.25 lb Mt Hood
.25 lb Summit
1 lb nugget

My thoughts were to use the FF to make a recipe but would welcome more experienced recipe builders' opinions. IPA/IIPA I like to give you a sense of my taste: DFH 90 min, LowRYEder IPA, Sweetwater IPA, Bells 2 Hearted, 2XIPA, Lagunitas Sucks and Maximus, Green Flash Imperial IPA.

Grain Bill:
12# Domestic 2-row
1.5# C-60
1# Vienna
(already bought and mixed together)

Mash 60 mins at 151

1.25 oz Magnum 14.7AA for 60 mins
0.5 oz FF 11.4 AA for 15
0.5 oz FF 11.4 AA for 10
0.5 oz FF 11.4 AA for 5
1 oz FF 11.4 AA at flameout (hopstand for 20-30)
1.5 oz FF 7 days dry hop

Starter of WLP001

OG 1.077 Suspected FG 1.018
IBU 75

Do you think this brew would be to my tastes based on the above brews or should I just use other hops. What are your thoughts for a tasty, flavorful hoppy beer without the punch you in the mouth bitterness of some IIPAs.

Thanks
TNTGILL

I think it's too much crystal malt for your taste. I'd use no more than a pound, and consider using less than a pound for a nice IPA.

In order to get nice hops aroma and flavor and balance, I'd increase the hops to 1 ounce for each addition, at 15/10/5 minutes and flame out.

I've only used FF hops once, so I can't really say if that's something you'd like or not.

I love centennial (the signature hop in Bell's Two Hearted) and a combination of amarillo/simcoe (DFH 60 minute) but I didn't love the FF.

A good hops schedule would balance the bittering hops and the flavor hops, like this:

.75 oz bittering hops (or to get to 35-40 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 10 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops 0 minutes
dryhop 1-2 oz 5-7 days

Other relevant info I forgot, I BIAB and typically get 80+% efficiency. This is a 5 gallon batch (5.5 gallon to fermentor-5 gallon to keg). I will be kegging this batch and may dry hop in the keg.

Thanks Yoop! Can you describe the flavor/aroma of FF and why you didn't care for it. I will drop the C60 down some them (what flavor/impact with it have on the beer anyways?)

Thanks Yoop! Can you describe the flavor/aroma of FF and why you didn't care for it. I will drop the C60 down some them (what flavor/impact with it have on the beer anyways?)

Maybe too "tropical" for me? I'm not sure, but I wasn't a big fan. Maybe in combination with another hop variety I like it would work. I don't like citra hops alone, either, and that's what they reminded me of.

Crystal malt is used to provide head retention, color, and flavor. It's noticeably sweet, especially in large quantities. I'd keep it at no more than 5-8% in an IPA.

Thanks again. I actually really like Citra and did a all citra pale ale-ish beer a few months back that turned out well, just a little light on flavor. I might forge ahead then with the FF. I think the 1.5 # of C60 was ~10% so I will back it down some to 5-6%.

if you haven't brewed this yet, like yooper said, add more hops to counter the crystal/caramel malts. i hate crystal malts in my ipa's. any one of the hops you listed would be great to go in the aroma 15/10/5/0 slots. my preference would be more aroma hops toward the end like hopbursting:
.5 oz bittering hops (or to get to 35-40 IBUs with this addition)
.5 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 10 minutes
2 oz hops 5 minutes
3 oz hops 0 minutes
dryhop 2-3 oz 5-7 days

Brewing this Monday or Wednesday I hope. I am dropping the C60 to 1#. FF 1 oz at 15,10,5 2 oz flameout/hopstand for 30 mins. Dry hop 3oz FF for 7 days. 0.75 oz magnum for 60 mins. How does that sound?

Back