So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Halfway through the boil on a 10 gallon buffalo sweat clone to break in my new pot. All this while my new roomates/tenants move in.
It is a beautiful day, the brew session is going spectacularly aside from my cordless drills battery dying. It smells and looks amazing.

Brew turned out almost perfect. The 'empty' propane tank managed to hold out through the sparge, the other one lasted the entire boil. The new BK worked like a charm, though leaked a little around one of the weldless fittings (lost maybe 2 tablespoons through the boil). Had to move a zombie dust clone batch to keg because I needed the fermenter. What a great problem to have, full fermenters.

And through all this I had an enthusiastic assistant brewer (a friend who wants to learn to brew, has helped me on one other batch before.)

Yum! Sounds delicious. If I were moving into a place where my landlord was brewing, I'd be terribly overly excited.
I don't want to jinx myself, but things are going well here too and the day is damn glorious!

Edit: I jinxed myself. It rained a bit and my 5 gallon batch turned into 3.5 in the fermenter. Ugh. Dialing this **** in is not easy at all.

My new tenants are great people, one overdid it on apfelwein last night. At least one or two of the three of them want to help me brew in the future, the other I am going to teach to use my smoker.

I am sorry your batch didn't go as planned. Dialing in is a huge pain, but once you manage it you are set.

Did you want that propane burner I have?

I've borrowed one from my brother in law, but if you have an extra...sure! I just grabbed a beer at Fortnight...open till 11pm!

1391307489350.jpg

Doing my first all grain tomorrow. 5 gallons of IPA.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Home Brew mobile app

I mazed today, and burned my foot in the process (I had to boil a liter of water, because honey is troublesome to work with). If I'm able, I'll brew tomorrow.

Brewing an all Centennial session beer with pale ale malt, golden oats, biscuit, and c40. I will probably use s05 or Mangrove Jacks M44. I am also hoping to brew a Black IPA following the El Jefe clone in the IPA book. I've got some 1217 in a starter for that one.

Woof. Long day today, forgot I had to keg a couple of batches before I did the two I had planned for today. Got the kegging done while strike water heated up, then did the American Wheat and a Dark per the plan.

Ibuprophen and a nice Citra Bomb were both welcome when it was all over ;)

Ferm fridge is full, carb fridge is full, keezer has all six faucets running cold and normal. Life is good! :mug:

Cheers!

ab_feb_01_2014_15_sm.jpg

Did an oatmeal stout yesterday. Came out perfect. Had my thermometer break and my backup freak out cuz it got wet during sparge. I'm pretty sure I sparged with like 155 f water, but still got 85% eff.! OG ended up at 1.061. Target was 1.059.
Then I took a nap, and drove to a friends house and helped him brew a Wookey Jack Rye IPA clone. Tasty

image.jpg

Read someone's post from yesterday that they were having 56°F weather. I'd give an eye tooth for something around the 40°F to 50°F range which would mean the garage water source would be unfrozen. I don't mind the cold...just hate carrying 30 gallons of water from house to detached garage and then having to go back inside to rinse stuff off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Mixing up a simple cider that will become a Zombie Killer clone. I made a Zombie Killer clone a couple weeks ago. It's about time to add the honey and cherry juice to the fermented, stabilized cider and, wouldn't'cha know it, I got twice as much honey and cherry juice as I needed so, drats, I gotta make another batch. Wouldn't want to be wasteful. And the grocery store had some nice apple juice on sale too.

EDIT: I'm following KeyWestBrewing's recipe in this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/b-nektar-zombie-killer-clone-364264/index2.html

This recipe sounds very good...my Cider recipe is a bit more basic...with just the apple juice, corn sugar...and cinnamon sticks. Then back sweeten prior to bottling with brown sugar and four cans of frozen concentrate....Ohh yea..and I use the White Labs English Cider Yeast.

I've just finished brewing a session bitter which has gone into the fermenter. I've bought some new kegs I want to try out so I made a recipe using some hops I needed to use up. I'm also trying a variety of pale malt I haven't used before called flagon. I got 4 points higher SG than I usually get when using MO with the same recipe so it looks good so far. I'm looking forward to tasting it.

I had 2 buddies over,

1 brewed a Mr. Beer Sierra Nevada Torpedo
The other brews an Imperial Stout
And I double brewed, first batch was a Pliny the Elder and the other was a Ginger beer

I have a Hef and Honey Red Ale on tap, Oh I can't wait to actually have 4 different beers on tap. Wait, I only have 2 taps, better get that fixed real soon :rockin:

Rick

Just finished my 20th batch! This is the only time so far that I haven't tried a new recipe (yet) and ended up going with my favorite so far, which was an american amarillo based red ale...wanted something special for #20 :)

Here's a pic of the original from last year...

http://imgur.com/FEgXzeH

Just dry hopped a ruination double IPA. Only my second brew, many many more!!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Home Brew mobile app

I am brewing right now instead of watching the Super Bowl like most of America. It's a partial mash red lager of my own design called Q'apla!ger (warrior and galaxy hops, natch). Trying out my new 3500W induction burner which is working like a charm. I was hoping to also test my new NB 10G MegaPot 1.2 but unfortunately the weldless fitting leaks (they sent me a new one gratis which will arrive tomorrow, but I couldn't wait so I am using my old ceramic-coated steel 5G pot which seems to be induction compatible too)

Did my FWH, now I'm just waiting for the proper boil-off to "flame"-out (weird term with a flameless burner) and add the galaxy (and some amarillo even though it doesn't have any connection to the Klingon theme)

Brewing at the office since I haven't put in my double pole 220V circuits yet for the induction burner. Hopefully the smell has dissapated by tomorrow morning. Running a little over an hour behind schedule, unfortunately for my wife (our 3 year old is a bit of a firecracker). But I will return the favor in some way.

Wow, way to dive into the deep end.. Good luck, that's a very challenging AG

I have herd this so much :) I have never done a extract brew. Started with an all grain and have been grainin ever since. Buddy called me crazy. I guess I'm just a natural brewer. Don't think I have ever missed my mark on anything. Always have above average brews. I think it's just being prepared. My stout yesterday was supposed to be 1.059 OG. Got 1.061 with a 29.34 PPS and 84% eff. With a homemade setup. I love this hobby. I pretty much suck at everything else. If I could just make days longer so I wouldn't run out of beer I'd be set

Just put 5 gallons of Dead Ringer in the bucket! Smells awesome looks awesome! Love this stuff. First time in my life I actually followed ALL the instructions on anything. Many thanks to the forum members...got a lot of help. What a day...Smoked a salmon, brewed a beer, and fired some high powered rifles. Cheers.

This coming weekend I am going to get my funk on and brew my first beer with brett using WLP670. I had been debating on getting into sours/wild yeast so when Austin had carboys for 10 bucks I decided to buy new ones and move the old ones to funk duty.

Doing a Little Scotty PM (low ABV around 3.3%) - Saturday or Sunday, gonna use it as my non-alcoholic beer experiment....Just 50% of it....

working all weekend so i am brewing today. I am brewing an american pale ale from BCS but had som galaxy hops in the freezer, so it will be an all galaxy pale ale

Making my interpretation of Guinness Stout.. I know don't mess with tried and true

Using American 2Row Malt, and tossing some chocolate malt in for good measure
Im a rebel

I brewed yesterday. I had an unexpected snow day so i managed to bottle a batch and brew an AG black IPA. Turned out to be a good brewday, hit my numbers and ended up with 6 gallons of now fermenting beer. Cant ask for much more. And yes i brewed on the porch. We got a foot of snow yesterday so the patio was not an option haha

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391631643.847945.jpg

Work requires me this weekend, but I get Friday off. So Friday is my weekend and what a day I've got planned.

Task 1: 2 row goldings smash. No sparge.
Task 2: Vienna goldings smash. No sparge.

Venturing into the world of AG brewing I think a couple simple base malt comparison brews are in order. I can read for a fortnight on the end result and what to expect but it still won't be the same as having it side by side.

Task 3: I wasn't done! Take all that spent grain and make a parti-gyle inspired half 2 row half vienna sparge water brew. You thought I was mad to not sparge didn't you? With sparge water from 2 batches it should (I have a love hate relationship with that word. should) have around the same OG as the other 2 batches. Perhaps throw some crystal at that.

I realize this is quite the bill for the day, and fully expect it to take the entirety of it. I am open to suggestions as to how to not lose my mind or streamline the process.

Task 3: I wasn't done! Take all that spent grain and make a parti-gyle inspired half 2 row half vienna sparge water brew. You thought I was mad to not sparge didn't you? With sparge water from 2 batches it should (I have a love hate relationship with that word. should) have around the same OG as the other 2 batches. Perhaps throw some crystal at that.

I actually think the vorlauf and first runnings of all that wort will have a much higher OG than the sparged grains at the end.

"It's just my opinion. I could be wrong." -- Dennis Miller

I'm planning an Irish Red and Dry Irish Stout(which I will add coffee to the secondary) for this weekend, provided that everything goes well :tank:

I think I've talked myself into trying my first batch of apfelwein. I hadn't planned to brew anything but I unexpectedly find myself in posession of a new-to-me 3gal carboy, and it seems wrong to let it sit empty.

Kegging an Irish red and brewing up a small batch of Scottish 80 & Dunkelweizen. Off for a few days so might also brew another small test batch!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think I've talked myself into trying my first batch of apfelwein. I hadn't planned to brew anything but I unexpectedly find myself in posession of a new-to-me 3gal carboy, and it seems wrong to let it sit empty.

You should! It takes about ten minutes to make and is very much worth it. I havent meet a person, beer/wine/spirit drinker who did not like it. I like the still version better than the carbed version, but both are very good!

You should! It takes about ten minutes to make and is very much worth it. I havent meet a person, beer/wine/spirit drinker who did not like it. I like the still version better than the carbed version, but both are very good!

I know one person who doesn't like it. Of course it is his fault as he drankmultiple pints of it, blacked out for hours and woke up feeling like death. As a result I do not have any pity for him (I warned him of the ABV ahead of time) and do not consider that a real "not like".

I know one person who doesn't like it. Of course it is his fault as he drankmultiple pints of it, blacked out for hours and woke up feeling like death. As a result I do not have any pity for him (I warned him of the ABV ahead of time) and do not consider that a real "not like".

Haha that happens. I had a buddy black out on four of them. I told him not to drink more than three but he was already drunk at that point. :drunk:

He still loves when I bring them over though, only one at a time though.

Meh, I don't really like it that much. :p

Brewing a German Pils this weekend and preparing for a Barley wine / parti-gyle Saison in 2 weeks. My goal is to pull the pils from my fermentation fridge for a d-rest on the day I brew the barley wine. Ferment the barley wine at 60F for a few days in the fridge, then swap the pils back in and drop the temp for lagering.

Hopefully by late March or early April I'll have the Pils and Saison both kegged and ready to serve. The barley wine will sit for a while.

Latest posts

Back