Sparge devices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built something like the fermentap sparge assembly with some PVC and a shower head. It didn't work anything like it thought it would and I kinda felt like I wasted my time.

You using it with a pump or by gravity?

Nothing is as inexpensive yet functional as locline if you want to recirculate your mash and sparge with one system. We're down until tomorrow, but it's like this;

mashtube.png

Im gravity feeding for now but ill be upgrading to a pump shortly :) Bobby ive seen that one used and ive tried the silicone hose on top of the mash and its worked ok but i got better efficiency with the stop sign shaped CPVC manifold i used. im just looking for something to give me better dispursement

Matty, if that's the case, I feel like you may not have been maintaining enough water depth on top of the grain bed. The only way a sprinkle would be more efficient is if your grain bed was exposed nearly dry at the top.

I try to keep a good 2" above the grain bed which I've done until the end of the Sparge obviously when the liquid level isn't that high. I think where the hose rested on the grain bed was causing a channel.

Ondori said:
I just bought a sparge arm from midwest along with a false bottom to try out fly sparging. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-steel-sparge-arm.html

I have a question about fly sparging here, do you drain off your first runnings and then fill it up to 2 inches above the bed, or drain some first runnings off and start the process when you get to 2in above?

I start the flow very slow and collect the first few quarts to help clear the wort and set the grain bed. I add this back into the mash tun gently. Then I start the Sparge making sure to keep a 2" level above the grain bed

Back