Ideas on manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tater2000

Reaction score
Okay so I have access to all the tools necessary to make a brewing tower set up with a all 3 vessels made out of standard kegs.

I want to use copper piping to make a manifold but I want to make one that is better for a keg shaped mash tun instead of using a cooler.

What do y'all think of the pic of the manifold? Would this design have negative effects on the flow of the sparge water? And do you think that cleaning would be an issue?

Also I was wondering how necessary a pump would be? Can I get away without using one or would I be sorry if I didn't get one?

Thanks!

-Tater

20130217_112657.jpg

20130217_112708.jpg

20130217_112714.jpg

tater2000 said:
Okay so I have access to all the tools necessary to make a brewing tower set up with a all 3 vessels made out of standard kegs.

I want to use copper piping to make a manifold but I want to make one that is better for a keg shaped mash tun instead of using a cooler.

What do y'all think of the pic of the manifold? Would this design have negative effects on the flow of the sparge water? And do you think that cleaning would be an issue?

Also I was wondering how necessary a pump would be? Can I get away without using one or would I be sorry if I didn't get one?

Thanks!

-Tater

looks great, no issues as far as I can see bro.

From my experience you really don't need to over complicate your sarge arm. With a 1-3" layer of water over the grain bed even distribution of water is not critical. The goal is not to disturb the grain bed, which is quite easy. You would be more than fine with just one larger ring with a bunch of 1/16 or 1/32" holes, cutting slots for a sparge arm will be way to much flow. With the shown setup your outer ring will have higher output than your inner ring and even less if any flow with the center ring. KISS

1. Manifold: Three ring is unnecessary. Just one ring with a 8" or so diameter would be best. Any larger and you will leave lots of wort in the center of the tun.

2. Pump; You don't need one if you design right. Your stand has to be tall enough that each vessel can drain into the next one. This includes draining the boil kettle into the fermenter. Your kettle has to be at least two feet off the ground if you want to drain from the kettle to the fermenter without a pump.

I have a three tier stand and a plate chiller and do not have a pump. Love the simplicity and have no intention of buying a pump, but did just buy a false bottom from Nor-Cal (Jaybird).

I agree that you don't need to over complicate it. My MT holds 75lbs of grain and I just use a single loop of stainless braid. With this I get 80%+ efficiency.

E6A1875F.jpg

DSCN1832.jpg

For the sparge arm I made a multi outlet copper manifold to spread the water evenly over the top.

C01D59C1.jpg

It is stainless braid from a water supply line. I got lucky and found one that is 1" diameter but the 1/2" works just as well.

Back