max heat density

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgenever

Reaction score
Thinking of possibilities for an electric setup. I wanted to take a tally on your experiences with heating elements. What is the maximum watt per inch you have used in your bk without scorching. Please specify boil gravities. Thanks

I have used high density 2000w 120v elements for years and only scorched one batch due to a paused boil whereby the trub settled and scorched.

Scorching has more to do with the trub than wort gravity, as I believe it is the protein that burns, not the sugar.

I've had problems with 120 volt 1500 watt high-density elements.the first heat stick I built had two elements on one stick.separate circuits of course. they both came out dirty and added a dimension of burnt roasty flavors to the wort

I use 2x 2200W stainless steel kettle style elements, similar to the image. Never had a problem with scorching.

QUAKS29.jpg

I use the ultra low density heat element and I have started with darker beers and worked my way lighter although I will be brewing a cream ale this week to see if J get any scorching with the lightest stuff but I doubt it.... the ultra low density is best for this kind of thing if you can swing it.

augiedoggy said:
the ultra low density is best for this kind of thing if you can swing it.

While I agree, there are reports of scorching with ULWD elements when large amounts of wheat are in the grist.

IMO best to give a few stirs while going from mash to boil to keep the proteins in suspension.

Back