Star San Solution in an old Chlorine Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
Can i store my Star San solution in an old bucket that used to hold chlorine for a pool? i cleaned it well, but it still has a chlorine odor.

The reason i worry is the statement on the Star San spec sheet:

"DO NOT MIX STAR
SAN WITH CHLORINATED CLEANERS AS CHLORINE GAS WILL RESULT."

This was also the only line in all caps.

TIA

Jimmy

I would not. Chlorine gas is very dangerous, I would not take that risk.

Not that you were asking, but I buy the 1 gallon distilled water jugs at the store, add the correct amount of star san and kep it in that. Last forever.

I use a pool chlorine bucket for my Star San.

No problems.

Just wash it out really good first.

I like that the lid locks closed, its 5-gallons exactly, and the handle is very sturdy.

9538-9-8-07_10_StarSan.jpg

Doesn't sunlight make chlorine dissipate? Try leaving the bucket out, uncovered, in the sunlight for a while and see if the odor goes away.

the_bird said:
Doesn't sunlight make chlorine dissipate? Try leaving the bucket out, uncovered, in the sunlight for a while and see if the odor goes away.
For the past seven years, I've been using one of those tri-chlor buckets to mix up diatomaceous earth slurry whenever I clean my pool filter. When not in use, it sits outside, often in the sun. It STILL reeks of chlorine!

Well, if the smell isn't coming out after being left out for that long, it seems like it would be reasonably safe to assume that it won't come out with the Star-San?

Or, be uber-safe and drop $3 for an orange bucket at The Depot.

C'mon, if it was an issue wouldn't I know it by now? :cross:

Pool chlorine is soluble in water...just wash the thing out real well and you're good to go.

Maybe I should go home and see what kind of plastic the bucket is made from...I bet that is critically important.

:D

Beerthoven said:
C'mon, if it was an issue wouldn't I know it by now? :cross:

Pool chlorine is soluble in water...just wash the thing out real well and you're good to go.

Maybe I should go home and see what kind of plastic the bucket is made from...I bet that is critically important.

:D

The oxygen permeability if it's #7 will kill you. That is, if it's filled with Star-San and you pass out drunk, face-first, into the bucket. Ok, technically the O2 isn't killing you, I suppose...

LOL, That's right, but if it's corn-based PLA, and not polycarbonate, then it's just the humidities that will kill you. Still by passing out in it though.

Bird, yours was better. :D

If the bucket is thoroughly cleaned, there is probably no health risk. Still, there is usually a warning printed on the bucket, specifically saying they should not be reused.

I have to disagree about the plastic strap/handle, they are flimsy compared to a metal bail. I do use them for transporting stuff around the garden...compost, cedar bark, etc. Even with relatively light stuff, I've had the handles break, right at one end or the other. Sooner or later, you'll find yourself sanitizing the floor! :D

Chlorine gas is definitely poisonous, so you'd do well to keep it in a ventilated area. That being said, if the reaction volatilizes produces chlorine I wouldn't expect that it produces chlorine infinitely - at some point it will be exhausted.

Latest posts

Back