Quick question (sorry, I'm full of 'em)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighLife

Reaction score
I'm a big IPA fan. Now due to the hopping process, is this something I could try for my first brew?, or is this a bit advanced. Also, I want to use grain for my beer, not syrup or extract. I know that may be a bit much to start, but I'd rather do it properly and fail, then to take a short cut(?). Thanks and no offense to anyone's style.:)

IPAs are as easy to brew as anything. If you like big grapefruity IPAs, look up TheJadedDog's All Amarillo IPA recipe here. The original recipe is an extract recipe, but I posted an all-grain version in the thread. I've brewed both versions, and they're great.

I take some small bowls, one for each addition I'm doing. I'll measure out each hop addition before I start and put a scrap of paper in the bowl with the time it needs to go into the boil. Then I nest the bowls in one big stack with the first hop addition on top and the last one on the bottle. As the boil goes along and it's time to add hops, I just take the next bowl from the top, throw the paper away and toss it in. Makes it really easy to keep track of. Especially if you do dumb, overcomplicated hop schedules like I come up with. :D

I take some small bowls, one for each addition I'm doing. I'll measure out each hop addition before I start and put a scrap of paper in the bowl with the time it needs to go into the boil. Then I nest the bowls in one big stack with the first hop addition on top and the last one on the bottle. As the boil goes along and it's time to add hops, I just take the next bowl from the top, throw the paper away and toss it in. Makes it really easy to keep track of. Especially if you do dumb, overcomplicated hop schedules like I come up with. :D

I would probably throw the paper in the boil and toss the hops in the trash, I do dumb also:drunk:

Yeah, the brew sheet from BeerSmith is great. Sometimes I print it out, but most of the time I have my laptop out on the deck while I'm brewing, and just leave the brew sheet onscreen.

Oh, I always have the recipe hanging by a magnet on the range hood, right at eye level over the stove.

In fact I printed out something called a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout today. Ring a bell??? lol OMG it looked delicious going into the primary.

Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout? Sounds a little exotic for my tastes.

Yeah, the brew sheet from BeerSmith is great. Sometimes I print it out, but most of the time I have my laptop out on the deck while I'm brewing, and just leave the brew sheet onscreen.

Funny you mention that, usually I brew in the driveway but today, at the last moment, I decied to brew on the deck...having the laptop handy was great.

Highlife,

If you really want to go all grain from day one the grain bill on an IPA might be a little much for a first time brew. The hop additions aren't really that big of a deal just measure them all out ahead of time as others have suggested. Another reason you may want to do a smaller Pale Ale is that if you get low efficiency on your first mash it will throw the balance off more in an IPA than if you start with a more balanced beer to begin with. The final problem you might have with an IPA for a first brew is just the cost of all the hops if something goes terribly wrong. Losing a slightly cheaper batch of brew might hurt a little less, I hate to plan for failure but it is something to consider.

As for the whole idea of starting right out at AG, I think it's great. I am just starting to move to AG and I've been brewing off and on for nearly 20 years. I really wish I had gone AG early. Do you have a brew-buddy? That would make an IPA a much better first beer too, having someone around who knows how to deal with a stuck sparge or see a boilover coming before it's all over your stove/propane burner etc. is very handy. He could also help make sure you don't accidentally skip a step.

Back