First Batch of Beer in a while...is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgriggsbrewing

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking this site for a couple of weeks and decided to finally join. I made my first batch since college and it was a blast!! It's been a week and I'm noticing a film near the top of the carboy. Not a normal white foam but appears to be greenish. Attached is a photo of the brew, let me know if you think if it's a bad batch.

Thanks

matthew

brew.jpg

That is krausen and if there is green, it's hops. That is a good sign. Your yeast has also settled, so fermentation is likely nearing completion. Give it some time to clean itself up and it'll be ready.

That is krausen and if there is green, it's hops. That is a good sign. Your yeast has also settled, so fermentation is likely nearing completion. Give it some time to clean itself up and it'll be ready.

+1

It looks just right.

The only thing I'd do differently next time is give yourself a little more headspace (bigger fermenter relative to the amount of liquid). It judging by the left over krausen on the side, it looks like you almost had a blow off. You can also use a blow off tube rather than a standard airlock, but that will be something to look into when/if you brew larger batches.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the reply.

I used a blow off line for the first two days. The blow down line drained to water with sanitizer mixed in. The blow down tube had some crud in it and almost was clogged. Would that of been a problem?

After the two days I replaced with the airlock as seen in the photo. I was just a little worried...

Thanks!!

Back