fermentation temperature swing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eibbor

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my first batch and was wondering about fermentation temperatures... The ale I am going to brew calls for Wyeast 1028 London Ale, which calls for temperatures between 60-72. I recently measured the temperature of a bowl of water in the corner of the room where I will be fermenting. I started one afternoon and measured several times throughout the day. I do understand the temperature inside the fermenter will be 5-10 degrees higher. Will the temperature variation be too much, it only varies 3.5 degrees. Here are the temps I measured throughout the day listed in degrees Farenheit
77 start temp (didnt record the time)
64.9 14:00
62.9 16:00
65.2 20:00
63.6 23:00
61.7 07:00 (the next morning)
63.5 12:30
63.1 16:15

The temps are well within the range for the yeast, if not a little low, but the inner fermenter temp should raise it up.... right?

That's not bad, but if you put the fermenter in a bucket and then fill the bucket with water so it's at least halfway up the side of the fermenter, that'll add more thermal mass which will make the temp in the beer even more stable. As it is, the thermal mass in the carboy is making the temp swing less than you got in the bowl of water.

Another plus to having the bucket of water with the carboy in it is that you can add ice to the water to keep the temp even lower, especially in the first day or two of fermentation.

the fermentation will bring the temp up...I normally put my fermentor in a rubbermaid container with icewater to keep everything cool. just adjust your amount of ice to keep the fermentation temps spot on.

Back