Can you cork beer in wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagington

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I stumbled onto lets just say 2 dozen cases of empty wine bottles from a wine dinner we had at work. Now I don't make wine, but I thought, "Just maybe I can cork my beer in these bottles!!!" I just wanted to know, is this possible? These bottles seem as thick as, lets just say a standard Samuel Adams bottle, which holds up pretty nicely for my beer. If I buy the synthetic corks will that help to seal in the CO2? Thanks for the help!

Wine bottles are not designed to hold pressure, nor are wine corks. Only champagne bottles and corks. You could probably use them for 'real' ales that are not carbonated.

Short answer - no. Pressure issues with the cork and the glass design mean that if you can figure out a way to force the cork to remain in the bottle you end up with a bottle that has an unacceptable chance of exploding. Get your work to host some champagne dinners or grolsh dinners or something...

I would too much rather use my floor corker and a #9 cork for beer instead of capping but I am guessing the bottles would have to be pretty sturdy and you would run the risk of the cork pushing out with enough pressure I guess its possible.

Latest posts

Back