Filtering Hop Pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
How are you guys filtering your hop pellets after the boil, when draining from the brew kettle to the fermenter?

hell I just dump them in the fermenter along with everything else. it hasn't seemed to affect the flavor of my beers, nor have I seen a significant beer loss due to extra trub in the fermenter.

Thats what Ive been doing, but started making some bigger IPA's, and the amount of hops in the fermenter is way to much for my liking.

I transfer from brewpot to fermenter with my auto-siphon and leave behind as much hot break and hop residue as possible while still getting the volume I want into fermentation.

I have an expandable colander that the handles pull out and fit on top of the bucket (its made for a sink). It can be a pain if there's a ton of hops, you have to stop and clean the strainer once or twice because it gets clogged up.

I use a metal mesh strainer and two Paint Strainer bags in the bucket. the Strainer Strainers and Aerates and then pulling the bags out it gets what the strainer misses. Works well. My first two batches has very little sediment in the bottles

Side note - When I siphon to the bottling bucket I stick the autosiphon in the paint bag and loosly wrap it around the tip.

I use the immersion chiller/whirlpool, it leaves all the hops and break material in a nice pile in the center of the kettle. I can then slowly draw clear wort off into my fermenter leaving all the solid material behind.

hell I just dump them in the fermenter along with everything else. it hasn't seemed to affect the flavor of my beers, nor have I seen a significant beer loss due to extra trub in the fermenter.

I have found the opposite. I made an identical big saison with a late hop charge twice and can tell you there is a difference when you filter and not. The filtered batch tasted very well rounded and the bitterness was in check. However, the unfiltered batch picked up a little more flavor, but also had a hint of grassy harshness that the previous identical batch did not have. Both were excellent, and the differences were pretty subtle. If you can filter, do it.

I normally use pantyhose (usually get the knee highs for plus size women) around the neck of a carboy....stick the funnel in an it will filter out. However, you have to be careful getting the pantyhose out ( you have to leech out some of the wort as you pull it out---youll see what mean)

Latest posts

Back