2 weeks in bottle, no carbination...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penutbuttrdeath

Reaction score
Had a chili beer bottled for 2 weeks now and no carb what so ever. Did the yeast crap out on me? Heres my brew...

7lbs LME
1lb 60L
.25lbs Munich Dark

2oz Cascade Hops
4oz Malto Dext
1tbs Irish Moss
1pk S-05 yeast
no starter

1 Pablano
1 Jalapeno
1+1 Serrano
1+1 Anahime

74 degrees all the time
OG 1.062
FG 1.012

Sat in the primary for 6 days and secondary for 11 days. I used 4.3oz of Sucrose (white table sugar). Boiled for 10ish minutes. So what did i do wrong? Can i open each bottle, drop a yeast in there and let him go to town? This beer has awsome flavor and really good heat but no carb. Help how can i save my tasty brew... and yes i know i need to start kegging, im working on that!!

Thanks

What temperature are they conditioning at? You can try taking each bottle and rolling it gently back and forth across the ground to stir the yeast up again.

Did you use swing top bottles? I have never had any luck bottling in those.

Other than that, the only way you could have screwed it up are by:
1) No live yeast: you would have to paseurize the beer for that though.
2) No fermentable sugar: unless you used lactose, splenda, or some other artificial sweetener this shouldn't be a problem
3) Caps not sealed: this is a possibility, but if you turn your bottles upside-down and they don't drip than they should be able to hold CO2.

I would suspect that your bottles aren't holding the CO2 but without knowing exactly what you did to bottle, it is hard to guess what your problem is.

ive had bottles take from 4 days to 5 weeks to carb. maybe give them another week, if still no carbonation, proceed to take action

Thanks for the input. Can i add a grain of yeast to each bottle and re-cap each bottle... with out bottle bomb?

Pivovar_Koucky - I used 22oz glass bombers with regular press down caps. Done this the same way with all the brews ive done. Ive hade a problem with too much carb in the past... Bottle Bombs!! Caps are on tight no leaks

NorCalAngler - 65-70 degrees all the time. I have a crawl space room that stays the same temp year round. I'll try shakin them up a bit

Got Trub? - yep, thats what i plan on doing.

Do you see a yeast layer on the bottom of the bottles? If so then there are plenty of yeast available to finish the job, but for some reason they fell out of suspension early. I would recommend what I suggested earlier with the rolling method. I had this problem with a beer and rolled the bottles and then put the case in front of our fireplace to heat them up a bit (not hot, just to get the temps up around 80F) and they carb'd up in a few days after that.

I think you're just not patient enough. If there's yeast sediment but no carbonation, the caps might be leaking. 22oz should take a little longer to carb.

so, the minimum 3 weeks at 70F to carb before posting should be extended to 4 weeks here.

malkore - this is the 25th batch of beer I have bottled in the past year and all my brew usually carb in 10 days or so. This Is the first chili beer I have made so I thought the heat from the chilis had something to do with it. I dont know. I wouldn't post a noob question if I already knew the answer

I'll try the role a beer method and go from there... since theres a tiny and I mean a tiny bit of settlement.

Back