Bottles not carbing up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
The last 3 batches i have made did not carbonate sufficiently and im not sure why. The 3 yeast strains ive used have been White labs hefeweizen, Wyeast hefeweizen, and the wyeast wit beer. I am not sure about the first batch but the other 2 batches i have used something like .6-.8oz corn sugar per gallon. Am i using too little sugar?

2 weeks about 70F.
I let the first batch go 1 month at 70F, the taste went to crap and still not too much carb

What is your bottling/priming process and capping as well?

Usually 3 weeks at 70 is considered to be the Minimum amount of time and some take longer but I've used all those strains and everyone has been nicely carbed in as little as two.

How long are you letting them sit in the fridge? I had some recently that I thought were not carbing up but it turned out I wasn't giving them enough time in the fridge to let the Co2 get absorbed into the liquid

New guy, so not really any experience other than my instructions say for bottle conditioning to let them sit a week at 65° and then two weeks at 55-60° before putting in the fridge. I believe those temps are more for that type of beer or, just random numbers and reality dictates 60-70 for a few weeks.

I use 1 ounce priming sugar per gallon of beer, so .6-.8 is a little low. The .8 batches should be ok (as that's 4 ounces for a 5 gallon batch) but the .6/gallon would be pretty flat.

Back