Concerned Wanna-be Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresalgl

Reaction score
Hi,

So I brew beer and wine. Have been for about a year and would like to try my hand at kombucha. I am afraid of contaminating my beer and wine with acetobacter though. Should I be? Anyone have this happen?

Thanks,
T

I do both, and I brew sour beer with Brett.
You have to be very diligent about your sanitation practices, and ideally, you'll have separate set of equipment for the sour stuff.
So, is it a concern? Yes
Is it a problem? No.

A friend of mine brewed beer and kombucha right next to each other. No problems, and he isn't especially careful. He plans to keep doing it, I don't foresee any problems and would be amazed if there were any. A tiny bit of Acetobacter getting in there probably wouldn't have time to build up enough numbers to do anything relevant. Acetobacter is all around us all the time anyway.

One consideration is if you keep open vats. If you use open vat fermentation for multiple processes and they are in close proximity, then there is a higher chance of something happening vs closed containers(with airlock/blowoff tube). If its closed, I wouldnt consider it an issue at all.

Back