Severely underpitched lager, can I pitch different strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I was part of a big brew on Saturday and took home 5 gallons of Helles bock at 1.070 and 5 of Schwarzbier at 1.052. I chilled them down to 47F and got my big slurry of second gen WLP 833 (Bock Lager) ready to pitch.

Thinking the Helles would need more, I eyeballed it and accidentally poured about 80% of the slurry into the Helles, which left me with only about half a cup of slurry for the Helles.

By Sunday morning the Helles was going nicely at 50F, but no sign from the Schwarz, which I expected. Airlock had no pressure on it, and top of wort was clear. This morning still nothing, so I decide to stop and grab some yeast packs to repitch with. I had to go with Wyeast 2066 (Bavarian Lager). I bought 3 packs.

I smack the packs, look into the fermentation fridge and the airlock now has little pressure on it, where before there was none, and there are some bubbles o the surface of the Schwarz.

My question is, should I pitch the smack packs so I don't get the effects of an under pitched lager? Or, will the original pitch of WLP 833 still build up enough to ferment well? Will blending these yeasts be worse? I am now 48 hours in.

All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i would leave it alone 1/2 cup of slurry it plenty of yeast, more than what would be in a wyeast pouch.

I'd wait it out. At least give it 72hours to do its thing. If there's no visible signs of fermentation by then I'd consider pitching more yeast but until then have a Homebrew and wait it out.

also, at lager temps it's slow going anyway. close the door and stop looking at it.

I was wondering myself if I under pitched my oktoberfest last night. I pitched one #2633 smack pack at 68 then put in keezer at 50. Sounds like I should have made a starter and pitched it at 50. Is one pack enough, should I pitch one more or just relax and let it be?

Back