My first Lager Experience questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkoobaSteve

Reaction score
So I made the dive into the lager world this weekend. Ended up doing two beers, a Munich Helles and an Oktoberfest 5 gallons each. I ended up using WLP 800 since it was the only lager yeast available at my local shop. I made a 1.6 liter starter using one pack for my Helles and a 2.5 liter starter with another pack for the Oktoberfest per BeerSmiths recommendation. I aerated and pitched at the same time and temperature (same fermentation chamber) last night. woke up this morning to a nice kruesen layer and airlock activity in my helles but absolutely nothing in my Oktoberfest. Should I be worried or should I give it another day or two before I need to start thinking about making another starter and repitching?
IMG_1527617610.485013.jpg

I'd wait to see what it looks like tomorrow. Too early to freak out.

I can't see what you mean by nice krausen in one, and nothing in the other one? Seems like both has a good head to them? But maybe more krausen in the one on top?

Besides, doing one over another in a fridge will give the one on top a few degrees warmer temperature. which one has krausen and the other one "nothing"?

The one on the bottom has the Krausen and airlock activity, the picture makes it look like the catalyst on top has krausen also but it’s just the foggy condensation on the outside of the fermenter.

The mysterious ways of yeast. Unless you accidentally heated the yeast up in the Octoberfest batch or somehow killed them off, they will ferment your beer - just not on our timeline.

Has anyone used WLP800 on anything besides a Pilsner? I was a little apprehensive about using it on the Oktoberfest. I didn’t know if it would dry it out too much and cut into the big beefy malt body I was looking for

Woke up this morning to an overflowing blowoff tube on the Oktoberfest. All is well. Glad I listened to the wisdom of the predecessors on this thread. I appreciate the help.

Back