need help identifying an off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wncbrewer

Reaction score
I recently brewed two ipas with pretty much the same grain bill and hops schedule, one got wlp540 and the other got 001. Both have this odd taste that I cant quite put my finger on. The best way I can describe it is that they taste under attenuated, but they finished at 1.009 and 1.012 respectively. I have also checked the calibration of my hydrometer and it is fine. I would appreciate any input on what this may be...wnc

Alkaline, I haven't sent off a sample but according to the pH paper my pH is close to 8, for both beers, I mixed my tap water 50:50 with distilled and added gypsum

Could it be dyacetil? It does make beers taste more full-bodied than they actually are.

Cheers,

Vale

Yooper said:
If it tastes a bit underattenuated, my guess is that it is underbittered. What is the recipe?

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it was a IIPA that went from 1.090 to 1.012 with 17 ounces total of late hops for a calculated ibu around 110. As for the diacetyl, I wouldn't think so both beers got month long primaries, the Belgian got 2 months in secondary and the double got about 3 weeks

I am still seperated from my little black recipe book, but these beers were very similar, grain bills are identical. With 2 row, vienna and victory, with the IIPA getting 2 lbs honey. Hop schedules were also the same with quantities scaled back to compensate for the lack of honey in the belgian ipa. Hope this helps, if you guys need more I can post complete recipes once I get home. Boat loads of citra and amarillo in both beers

Latest posts

Back