Is my beer to bitter due to my water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcamp

Reaction score
Been brewing for a bit over a year and there is a strange taste of excess bitterness in my beer. At first I thought I was using to much bitterning hops but that is not the case. I feel my sanitation is up to par. I want to improve the taste and started researching the water profile

I've been using tap water and brewing extract 1/2 boil partial mash and/or steeping grain. Hoping to move to full boil all grain in the next few months.

Here is my water report from water one.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 73
Mg: 60
Na: 52
Cl: 55
SO4: 124
HCO3: 60

I've downloaded the EZ water adjustment calculator and it states my residual alkalinity is negative 27 and my chloride to sulfate is .44

I watch Bobby_M videos and have some idea on how to work this spreadsheet but if anyone can help w/ water adjustments for a balanced to malty beer would be appreciated.
Planing on brewing a southern English ale next.

Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty sure that ratio is on the bitter side.

Below .50 = Very Bitter
.50 to .77 = Bitter
.77 to 1.3 = Balanced
1.3 to 2.0 = Malty
Above 2.0 = Very Malty

I've downloaded the EZ water adjustment calculator and it states my residual alkalinity is negative 27 and my chloride to sulfate is .44

The Cl2:SO4 is fine. The Mg is the problem. Dilute your water with RO and add back some calcium as appropriate.

also, keep in mind that extracts have minerals in them as well, so you could be doubling up in some areas which may becausing the excessive bitternesss.

Or Make Vienna Lager?

Target Profile (optional) Beer Style Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+1 Cl-1 SO4-2 HCO3-1 RA Cl to SO4
Pilsen Pilsener 10 3 3 4 4 3 -6 1.00
Dortmund Export Lager 225 40 60 60 120 220 -4 0.50
Vienna Vienna Lager 163 68 8 39 216 243 43 0.18

Back