Oxygen injection, What's the verdict?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
Hi,
Bought an O2 injection system a few months ago, and I'm having trouble determining if it's worthwhile or not. This could very well be due to the improper use of it (it came with a one sentence instuction sheet) or perhaps my failure to heed the warnings about taking the brown acid. In either case, could you kind folks set me straight about the proper use of this gadget?? If there is one??

Thanks

sanitize the stainless steel airstone and the plastic tubing its attached to.
hook it to an O2 tank and lower the stone into your cooled wort for about 1-2 minutes. adjust the valve on the tank so you get a stream of O2 but don't blow the wort out of the bucket

jpuf said:
Hi,
Bought an O2 injection system a few months ago, and I'm having trouble determining if it's worthwhile or not. This could very well be due to the improper use of it (it came with a one sentence instuction sheet) or perhaps my failure to heed the warnings about taking the brown acid. In either case, could you kind folks set me straight about the proper use of this gadget?? If there is one??

Thanks

I've used it for every batch this year.
Works great. Lag times are usually a few hours and fermentation is very vigorous.
I usually do 45 seconds after pitch with a slow flow.
Then another 30 seconds about 3 hours later then a final 30 seconds at pitch + 6 hours.
Works great.

Greyhair

greyhair said:
I've used it for every batch this year.
Works great. Lag times are usually a few hours and fermentation is very vigorous.
I usually do 45 seconds after pitch with a slow flow.
Then another 30 seconds about 3 hours later then a final 30 seconds at pitch + 6 hours.
Works great.

Greyhair

That's probably a bit over-zealous. I remember reading (can't recall where now) that no more than 10s of pure 02 is needed for 5 gallons of wort. Anything over "X PPM" (whatever X was) only slowed the yeast down from their aerobic stage...

It's a bit hazy to me since I haven't brewed in half a year though.

directions for mine say to airate for 10 sec every 15 min for the first hour. Additional time adds little to no noticable affect.
.5 micron bubbles (about 2-2.5 turns)

I end up doing it 2 to 3 times for a minute or so each between other tasks before pitching.

Open the valve so the bubbles barely break the surface. Large bubbles won't be absorbed as well. They will surface much faster.

Back