Austin's New Shipping Policy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
I just posted the new shipping policy in the Homebrew Supply Website thread. How will this effect your purchases in the future? I've ordered a few times already and through them because of the free shipping and have recommended them to many others for the same reason.

If I drive to Corvallis (the closest shop) I burn 3.2 gallons of diesel, about $10. Certainly, I'd like to continue getting free shipping, but ...

I'll no longer be forced to buy extra kits and brew batch:mug: after batch:mug: after batch:tank: , just to get it!

Wow, it's still cheap shipping with no limitations and people want to complain? Retarded....

At least now I don't have to order 3 ingredient kits to get free shipping. It's still more cost effective to make a big order, but no longer as necessary.

It's still a good deal if you don't have a decent homebrew shop within 20 miles or so. I used to rely on Austin Homebrew extensively because they, via Internet, were the supplier around IMO.

I think their Internet customers won't buy as many 60$ purchases so I hope they're profiting from the shipping surcharge.

Well I guess it all depends on if your used to paying shipping. I'm not as it hits the bottom line hard for me when I'm tight on money and I'd rather it be spent on something elese. I did not mind spending on a few more thing to get it up to $60 since it was beer stuff. Was a convience thing for me since before a month ago I could not lift much so it was nice to have UPS bring it to my door. Now I'm going to go to the LHBS and spend the $6 there. Yeah I buy gas to get there, but thats not really in the question that the SWMBO asks when she asks "How much did you spend at the LHBS?"

Going to check out this Morebeer place too. What's the shipping policy there?

I have no beef with it. $6 flat shipping is still pretty low for, say, a $40 or $50 order.

Since I've gone all-grain, but don't have my own mill, it takes 3 batches worth of ingrediants to get to $60, plus some odds and end, usually. I will probably start ordering 2 batches worth at a time, swallow the $6, and still be ahead because I won't buy nickle and dime stuff I don't reallly need to get to $60.

They have to pay the cost of higher oil prices too. Get used to it and lets all figure out how to be less dependent on middle eastern oil.

RichBrewer said:
They have to pay the cost of higher oil prices too. Get used to it and lets all figure out how to be less dependent on middle eastern oil.

True that, G! Anyone here regularly ship via UPS? Prices are going through the roof.

Gas is at $3.20 today, and that's at a cheap place.

chask31 said:
morebeer.com has free shipping for orders over 59 bucks.

It'll be interesting to see if they make any change in that.

I find Austin's grain prices a little lower, and they have more options for fractional amounts and for "custom packaging." This fits my needs very well at the moment because I don't have a mill, so I need to buy milled grain which is fairly perishable.

That's the main reason I'm currently doing most of my shopping there. If I buy a mill, my buying strategy will probably change significantly.

Back