Don't flame me but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
I tried some mead (probably more like a Metheglin, but they called it mead) for the first time that some friends made and it was disgusting.

I honestly couldn't imagine getting drunk on that, let alone having more than one glass. It was way too sweet, thick and syrupy. Did they make bad mead, or are those characteristics of mead?

It just seemed way too sweet; definitely sweeter than I had originally imagined.

I much prefer a dry mead myself so, no they aren't all cloying. Maybe that is what they were after, maybe the yeast pooped out, I dunno.

Mead comes in many diffrent tastse. A lot of mead is sweet. Generally, what you are looking for is what is called a dry mead, they are less sweet. I tasted a great ginger mead once that was dry and spicy. If you are used to beer then mead might not be the best for you, best to try a braggot. That is sort of half way between mead and beer. Personally I like it sweet. The syrupy part is a new one for me. It shouldnt be that thick. Can be but shouldn't. Mead comes in more varities than wine so don't judge on one mead. Look for a medium dry or a dry mead.

I really don't like sweet meads. I do however, love dry meads. So far, varietal meads are my favorite. I have an orange blossom mead that we brewed with a medium amount of heather tips that is awesome. Unfortunately, there really aren't any commercial dry meads available near me that are good, and they take a really long time to mature.

I think that they probabaly made bad mead! YOU can make it however you like though. I like some sweet mead, but I also like a VERY dry crisp mead that more resembles a white table wine. I LOVE dry show mead with Italian food...the kind without Red sauce.

The mead they made gives me a headache almost instantly. I wouldn't imagine that this is a normal trait. Or is it...? I'm thinking it's not done fermenting and of course, no hydrometer readings..

Some of the recipes I've seen for mead would put one in a diabetic coma. Might as well add a shot of vodka to a cup of honey. Good mead is all about balance. Some like dry meads and some prefer slightly sweeter meads. I tend to prefer a semi-sweet mead with a FG of about 1.010 but, again, everything must be in balance.

Meads vary wildly in flavor. Many people make meads that are very sweet because they want more of the honey flavor. However dry meads are also quite common. Meads made with a variety of fruits have a huge range of flavors and spices are often added to both regular meads and fruit based ones.
Even within traditional meads there are more subtle flavor differences between meads made with different types of honey.

It is possible you will not like meads, but one example is too small of sample to know. Give a dry mead or semi-sweet mead a try. It sounds like the one you tried was a desert sweet mead. These can be very sweet and thick and are really not designed for drinking quantities. Instead they should be treated like a ice wine or port and a small glass is sipped slowly to enjoy the flavors.

I usually make dry meads and occassionally make sweet or semi-sweet meads, but have yet to make a desert mead. I've like all the meads I have made so I may have to give the really sweet ones a try sometime.

Craig

Yeah, it had some port-esque qualitities too it. It seemed to be a sipping mead. Also, when we chilled it, it was much less drinkable. Is mead supposed to be served similar to a red wine? I want to expand "brewing" past just beer. I am really interested in Apfelwein (my "awesome" LHBS doesn't carry the right yeast), and I thought I would like mead. I like dry things, so maybe a dry mead would be good... Any recipe suggestions?

Now that you mention it, most meads in my experience get better when chilled. I was not much for the hot spice mulled meads. Mostly, I would say it depends on the mead. Dry meads I would say taste better cold particularly if it is a sparkling mead (read as carbonated) But by the sounds of the mead you describe, it wasn't done clarifying/fermenting/and had too much honey in it for water ratio. This probably stopped the fermentation so not only is it too dense, in your description syrupy, but also had a lot of free floating yeast, and it got worse when chilled.

Meads come in several diffrent flavors, Meglathins are meads bit spices and Memonells(?sp) are meads with fruit. Not sure if there is a term when both are present. The color should be mostly amber like a good colored transparent beer. Depending on what is in the mead it might have a slight color. Like a blueberry having a nice deep purple color or the a strawberry having a light pink color. Gererally good mead will poor almost the consitsancy of water. Much thiner than most beers. So if it is thick and tastes like you say and gets thicker when you chill it, Yeah not good mead and possibly mead that is not done or improperly made.

Some people do like mead heated up with a teabag of spices. Generally called Mulled Mead.
Some like it room temp and insist that it is best at room temp.
Then others like it chilled like beer or white wine.
Me, I say depends on the mead. The more fruity meads would be better cold, like the strawberry, peach, or others. The Meglathins are generally ones that would be better warm but wouldn't need to be so. I think that a sage mead or birch bark mead would be good warm, as would a nutmeg or cinnamon mead. I once heard of a garlic mead that reportedly was fantastic. Same thing with a clove cinnamon mead I heard of. Or even the more unusual ones such as a heather mead or annise mead. It is all a matter of taste.

Mead comes in as many varieties as there is imagination. Much more than wine or beer.
I mean a person that likes a Guiness beer might rightfully hate miller lite. But then mike like a microbrewed stout or other beer just fine. Same thing with mead.

Mead has a reputation for serious hangovers. If you drink mead like it was beer, I could understand. I've never had more than 4-6 ounces of it at one sitting.

I don't like sweet meads or sweet wines.

I have both dry meads and thick sweet portish style meads and I like them both.

Drink what you like and like what you drink. Doesn't mean it's bad or good. It just is and that's what's nice about mead and brewing.

Back