No Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blood's brew

Reaction score
Hi, it has been over 72 hours and there has been no bubbling in the airlock since I closed the lid. From what I have read I think this means my yeast is dead or not activating. The temp is 70 F. Is this the problem?

And what kind of yeast would I need to get? I am making a German Oktoberfest but didn't save the packet of yeast I originally put in there. I obviously want to get it fast but does anyone know of brewing supply stores in Manhattan??

Thanks!

No its on a wood floor, in a closet. It's away from all light and the temperature remains 69-71F.

do you know if was a lager yeast? Typically an Oktoberfest would be. That's a bottom fermenting yeast that needs to be quite a bit cooler

I just had a problem where I wasn't getting any action in the airlock. Just like you I assumed that my yeast was dead, but when I looked inside there was foam on the top of the wort and it smelled like beer. It ended up being a bad seal around the airlock and he air was escaping. I lubed up the lock and it was bubbling away.

I'd say pull out your airlock and take a quick peak/whiff inside. If you've got foam you just need to double check your seals. Hopefully this is the problem as it is an easy/free fix.

I don't know if it was a lager yeast but the directions from Brewer's Best say to keep it at 68-72F during fermentation.

I will try the airlock suggestion. What did you lube it up with?

Ok, took the airlock out and everything smelled fine but there was no foam whatsoever and no sign of anything happening inside. I think the yeast is just dead?

So what kind of yeast do I need to get? And does anyone know of a store I can run to tomorrow in Manhattan? If not, how long can it wait until I add a new batch of yeast?

Thanks everyone!

Back