how do you keep your fermenter cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
How do you keep your fermenter cool once the warmer weather gets here? The inside of the house is usually around 78 while we are at work and I feel that is too warm. Summer gets here, the house will be over 80 in this area.
If I keep the electric bill down I can afford to brew more often but then the need to keep the ac on is obvious, which drives down the ability to brew more often....catch-22 I guess. I am thinking about buying another refrigerator with a different thermostat setup..any ideas?
Thanks
Ron

I bought an upright freezer on craigslist for $100, and a temp controller for about $60. If you go that route, look for a freezer where the shelves come out. Most have the coolant running through the shelves, so you can't remove them.

Refirigerator/Fermentaion chamber is probably the easiest ways to go but the most expensive. Look up "swamp coolers" theres many differnt ways of doing it but for the most part, you find a tub or bin thats large enough for your primary to fit in, you fill it up with water and use ice packs or frozen water bottles in the water to keep it cool.

Mini fridge from cl, 2 inch insulation, and ebay aquarium temp controller. Less than a hundred bucks and improved my beers immensely.

I use a styrofoam cooler big enough for my bucket and fill it with water and use subzero gel packs. I put in a thermometer to keep water temp around 55-65

In Durham NC on steak and blow job day, 3/14/12, in our small apartment while dinner was cooking the temp got up to 82 with the outside temp at 80. This is how I make great beer by managing my fermentation temps. I know this is not fermenting but it is still what I use for primary. The pic is of my Pliny clone with 4 oz of dry hops! It is at 66 degrees.

image-1726469411.jpg

BeerguyNC61 said:
LMAO!!! @ Steak and Blow job day!!:ban:
Which cam first?? LOL

The steak of course. I take it you have never heard of this holiday that will one day be recognized by hallmark, let me enlighten you. Every march 14th your lover should reward you for working so hard all year long on making her happy also more specificly on valentines day which is why steak and blow job day is exactly one month following valentines day.

15 cf chest freezer w/ Johnson controller 400$ new. Fits 4 ale pales and 4 Cornie kegs....
Pricey maybe best bang for buck...YES

Back