Rekegging store bought keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soc

Reaction score
Last weekend for my birthday, my family surprised me with a party and a keg of Miller Lite (I know, most of you might think it is nasty, but it's the family light beer of choice). We did a pretty good job on the keg but there is still about 1/3 of it remaining. My girlfriend paid for the keg and is now a little low on cash and wants to return the shell for the $50 deposit. We don't want to waste the beer left in the keg so I was thinking about emptying it into one of my empty corny kegs and putting some CO2 on it. Has anyone ever tried this? If this is a terrible idea please just let me know, I have never tried anything like this before, was just thinking that maybe it would work.

How did you dispense the Miller? With a party pump or hooked up to CO2? If you pumped it with a party pump it was sucking air into the keg the entire time. If thats what you did the beer is probably done for. If on CO2 I guess you can transfer it but I'm not sure how you would do it, probably have to pull the pickup and use a siphon.

you could hook the hap to you beer in post on a corny, but like johnny said, only if it was a co2 tap. A hand pump tap and the beer is done, just return it and let the distributor clean it out.
If transferring to a corny, I would vent the pressure a few times, then push it over a 2-3 psi. It really depends on the tap that is/was hooked up to it.

I'd put money on hand pump. When someone that doesn't know much about beer and wants to surprise someone with a keg at a party, they grab a keg and handpump from the liquor store. I wouldn't drink that beer 2 days later, nevermind from last weekend.

A little :off: but I recently drained a keg to make a kettle and I can't imagine what it tasted like. Its been in my hot garage for 3 1/2 years.

I know from my college days that if you used a hand pump to dispense that beer last weekend it will be so skunked and nasty by now that have to stand back while draining it into the bushes to prevent yourself from gagging.

No use transferring it. For you trouble to transfer it you could go and pony up for a another keg.

I'd go ahead and do it. It'll probably be exposed to O2 and not taste the best, but it will still be drinkable and you won't waste it, and she can get her cash back. I'd attach a length of hose to the picnic tap that would go down pretty far in your keg, and just start dispensing to reduce foam.

~r~

It's going to taste like the stale beer smell you get when you walk into a baseball park or the night after a party.

I've done this and it works fine. If you drinking miller lite your probably not gonna notice any difference anyway. It worked for me (I was drinking old mil: haha)

there's only one thing worse that I can imagine than drinking Miller Lite from a keg. That is drinking heavily oxidized Miller Lite from a week old force-oxidized keg. Just the thought of it is making me gag a little.

I used to tend bar in college and I remember to this day the smell of Miller lite first coming from an unoxidized keg on Sunday morning. Just that aroma made my hangover much worse.

there's only one thing worse that I can imagine than drinking Miller Lite from a keg. That is drinking heavily oxidized Miller Lite from a week old force-oxidized keg. Just the thought of it is making me gag a little.

I used to tend bar in college and I remember to this day the smell of Miller lite first coming from an unoxidized keg on Sunday morning. Just that aroma made my hangover much worse.

I have to agree, miller light is honestly one of the worst beers ever created

This is just me throwing in my .02. Just a few months ago my room mate had a week old keg of bud lite that was dispensed using a hand pump. We just threw it back into a trash can with some ice to cool it down. Although it was flat, it really wasn't undrinkable (we finished it off over a weekend.) I didn't have my kegging system back then, but if I did, I wouldn't even be asking the forum guys, I'd just do it. You must remeber that throughout history people fermented liquids to make them last longer. Do you think that they always worried about oxidizing? I seriously doubt it. If you were really worried about flavor, I bet you would have just pumped it out into the yard.

DRINK THAT ****,
J

Back