So you ruin your batch of beer what do you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZOTH99

Reaction score

So you brew it ferment it keg it and it doesn't taste right? something is wrong, you have a bug etc...

Who has tried or has anyone ever tried or is it even possible to

" start over " with that batch that you considered ruined? Meaning if you have a really light beer use it as your brew water instead of your regular water?

I can't see doing it but I am really curious if someone out there has tried it?

I mean it could be close to the souring process in a way. lol

I'd like to hear about the results of some of those experiments.

Extract,

all-grain or steep

and even powder?

How horrible or suprise suprise it turned out o.k.

I wouldn't use it as brew water the alcohol would vaporize during the process. And it would end up double hopped.

How bad did your's turn out? If I get some brett/wild stuff in my IPAs I don't really worry about it. I got something wild in a brown and had the bugs to make a sour in the fridge so I just finished the process. I don't throw stuff away usually. A good wild/sour will mellow and come together after a while ageing.

I've had a lot of beer that didn't turn out how I wanted it to, but it was still drinkable. You just have to enjoy it for what it is. And as Double D said, aging will improve most anything.

let it age, dont dump it or try and make something else with it, bottle it up and sit on it for a ew months...chances are that it will turn out good.

If it is at all drinkable, I say drink it. It will only make you appreciate the truly good batches that much more. You can always dilute it with an IPA to make it more palatable.

My batch is fine I've been drinking it with not issues. I was just curious at how creative some were with it if they were or if anyone has tried anything with it other than just drink it. I wouldn't say that I"m so hard up for beer that if I had a bad batch I would keep it. But If I ever do end up with a bad batch I am such a cheap skate that I would try to do something with it.

Sour it, hell maybe even try to distil it. Just curious if anyone has tried to re-brew it i some way shape form or fashion and if it was possible?

Once I had a brewthat smelled sour. Right or wrong, I syphoned it into the boil kettle, reheated it to just under boiling, added dme and cooled it back down. After no signs of refermentation, I pitched new yeast and let it go.

It turned out ok, and the sour taste went away.

Fwiw, the brew had been in the primary for 4 weeks when I started to smell and taste a slight sour taste

I have a batch of imperial stout that never got down to an acceptable final gravity. No matter what I did I could not get it to drop below 1.036, and while it is very tasty it is simply too viscous and sweet. So, I have decided to brew another imperial stout but mash it super low and pitch a more aggressive yeast to make it quite dry than combine the two batches and bottle it. The older batch has sat in secondary for about 7 months, so it will be a novel mix of young and aged beer. Either that or I could throw it avial of Brett and see what happens.

That is my story.

potassium sorbate.....store in any thing that will hold liquid airtight (milk jugs, glass wine bottles you didn't throw out, etc) .....set aside and distill when you have enough worth doing.

A guy in my area just took all the old corked wines, bad homebrews, and generally funky stuff he had to a local brew pub where they had a legal still. After a tidy regulatory tax, he had a number of legal, twice distilled, gallons of spirits!

Or be an outlaw and do it yourself...

Bump back up to the top.

Seriously no one else has tried it?

Hmm.... I may just to it for ****s and giggles one of these days.

Maybe even take some of my left over beer at the bottom of my keg and add it to a batch.

Back