Apple/Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
I wanted to make something tasty but simple to brew. Here is what I came up with:

Apple/Amber Ale

Batch size 5 gallons
OG 1.052
IBU 20

2.5 gallons Mott's Natural Apple Juice (pasteurized with no preservatives)
3 pounds Briess Sparkling Amber Dry Malt Extract
0.60 ounces Warrior Hops (17.2AA)
Yeast Nutrient
White Labs English Ale Yeast Cake

Brought 2.75 gallon of filtered water to boil, added malt extract, brought back to boil, added hops and yeast nutrients, boiled for 15 minutes, removed from heat. Chilled in ice water bath to 70 degrees. Dumped apple juice and amber ale wort into a primary fermenter together, added yeast and aerated.

I'll give this 2 weeks in primary (or more depending on gravity readings) and then keg and force carb. I am thinking of using the remaining 0.40 ounces of hops to dry hop...maybe.

My thoughts: it's exactly 1/2 apple and 1/2 beer; don't like dry cider so i chose amber dme and the wlp002 to leave some sweetness; i find warrior hops to be very clean tasting and i did want some hop presence but not too much.

I will repost with results. Cheers! :mug:

Kegged last night with no problems. Strong apple cider flavor, tangy and somewhat dry. Will sample when carbed in a week.

What was your final thoughts on this brew? I'd like to make something similar, maybe a little more hoppy and some smoked malt addition.

Back