1st all grain batch in 12 years! Ended up good but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyM

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
So I've returned to brewing after a 12 year break and was at the "intermediate" stage of about 1/2 extract 1/2 grain. Turned out some good, tasty beers with no off flavors, everyone loved them, etc.

Fast forward to last Sunday when the culmination of over a months worth of work building my 10-11 gallon all grain brewing system came to a head when I did my first all grain batch in over 10 years. Felt suuuper good getting back into it - I did a fly sparge (with a poor mans version of a Blichman auto-sparge) and from my calculations my efficiency was around 83ish percent so my copper manifold design and sparge rate (20 lbs in about 1.3 hours) must have been decent.

After waiting a full day, fermentation took off like a rocket. It started bubbling Monday but my concern is that it hasn't slowed substancially and it's Thursday. Am I just being overly concerned? I'm used to having my past brews slow down considerably on day 2-3 and then finish up like normal. The beer smells great from the airlock so I don't think I have any contamination.

Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mikey

Every fermentation is different. Sounds pretty normal to me!

Welcome back!

Tom

I have a hard time not brewing for a month, 12 years would have drove me nuts! welcome back

Keep in mind, yeast quality has changed in the last 10 years. What took you a week or more ten years ago will probably take you half that now. Definitely nothing to worry about. Give it the normal 3 to 4 weeks and bottle it up. Welcome back.

Awesome, fellas. Thanks!

Last question - I'm kindof a fan of bottle conditioning rather than doing a secondary for this lighter wheat so there's nothing wrong with me leaving it in primary on the chrub for about 3 weeks total and then going right into the bottles, right?

That's what I do. Secondaries are not needed unless your are adding something to your beer post fermentation (dry hops/fruit/etc).

Latest posts

Back