Carbonation HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
So it's been over 3 weeks and still minimal signs of carbonation in my bottles. Could I just open up every bottle of beer and dump it in my keg and crank the co2? Thanks for the help

what is the temp your storing the bottles in and how did you prime them? also can you see any sediment on the bottom of the bottles? possibly give each a swirl and keep in room temp & dark place. i would not dump them into a keg.

Dumping will cause oxygenation of the beer. What kind of beer and how did you prime the bottles and what temp are you storing the bottles.?

I brewed an ipa primed them with corn sugar and storing them at 70-75. Did the same with my first ipa which carbed In 2 weeks. I've swirled them around and still nothing.

How much sugar did you use? What was your process? Did you add the priming sugar in each individual bottle or make a simple sugar solution and add it to the beer just before bottling? How can you tell there is minimal carbonation? When you swirled the bottles around it's going to take more than a day to carb up. The swirling was to get any yeast that had collected on the bottom of the bottle suspended in the beer.

Could be an issue with not enough priming sugar. If your noticing some carbonation, then the yeast is alive and at 70-75F it should be fermenting whatever available sugars it can find.

Best thing to do would be swirling them up and giving them another week or so. If you notice no difference then you have two choices: either drink it as is, or carefully pour them into a keg and force carb. I had to do this once with a barleywine where the yeast had died off. I poured it into a 6.5gal bucket first, then used an autosiphon to rack it into a purged keg. The enemy here is oxidation, but if you do it carefully and use co2 when racking into the keg, you should be able to avoid it.

All you should do at this point is give them another couple of weeks at room temp and then test a bottle. Trying to transfer it over to a keg out of bottles will simply oxygenate the heck out of it and you'll ruin the batch.

How long do you give them in the fridge before opening? If it's less than 3-4 days, you may want to lengthen the chill period.

Back